Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement barrel for a Model 1917

Default Replacement barrel for a Model 1917

Anyone have a source for replacement barrels (Johnson's, High Standard are okay) for a M1917?

PM sent..............

Just a caveat, though you may already know this. P14/M17 barrels were installed by machine. The only way to remove a barrel without the possibility of cracking the reciever it to make a relief cut with a lathe where the barrel meets the reciever.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Just a caveat, though you may already know this. P14/M17 barrels were installed by machine. The only way to remove a barrel without the possibility of cracking the reciever it to make a relief cut with a lathe where the barrel meets the reciever.

This I did not know. I've learned something today,thank you John.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    strange...something i have yet to ever have to do....they come off just fine....never have i had to cut the shoulder...and i have never ever seen a receiver cracked from barrel removal, or installation..
    not saying it hasnt happened...i think its a little rarer then one might think..
    id bet i rebarrel more 1917,s then just about anygunsmith around..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

You have been lucky. When M1917's were rebarreled by Springfield, they just used a BIG barrel wrench, and some recievers were cracked as a result. In any case, since the old barrel is not serviceable any longer, making the cut isn't going to harm anything, and you don't want to be the unlucky guy to have it happen to you. I believe I read about this in an issue of the American Rifleman many years ago.

so, thats were this whole, mis information started...
    heres some facts...all M1917,s are made of 3% nickle steel, and only surface hardened, and are actually very soft, and bend very easy..i know...iv bent one...
    actually, crushed a receiver ring one time by simply installing my wrench.. i know have a fixture that fits inside that bolt way to prevent this.
    id guess to day, i handle and work on more 1917,s then any modern gunsmith around, and have seen 2 cracked 17,s both had been in fires at one time...
    one was cracked at the rear bridge close to the bolt stop latch, the other in the ring face.
    in the last couple months i restored a Winchester that had failed...yes,...blown up,..the receiver was sent to have it rockwell hardness tested...
    though i sent the letter back...what was said,,,was,.,,,the chances of a fracture are slim to nill..when i called the guy on the phone, he said,,no way...it would bend and flex long before it would ever crack.
    the 2 cracks i have seen were from rifles that had been in fires, and that in itself will ruin any heat treated, or hardened steel.
    so far,,,,other then a few harsh statements, and guys saying,,,back in 1950 my gunsmith said he had a cracked 17...no one cept for the one picture i have posted has shown any M1917,s that have had a crack from barrel removal or installation...until that time, i call Myth Busted on the cracked 1917,s
    if any one has a picture,,,,by all means show us...and make the myth true...
    yes, 17 and 14 barrels can be tight....fricking gorilla tight...and are tough to remove, but can be done, without a lathe or other primitive tools.
    but iv had 1903,s just as tight, and have actually had to cut one or 2 of those to get them loose..and both were from reblued guns, that had the salts creep into the barrel threads rusting the barrels to the receivers..
    as for the tools used to remove and install,,,well....i own a real GI issue barrel vice and wrench...unknown date..big? yes. the action wrench alone wieghs 40 pounds maybe more,
    the screw type vise is a beast, but it works...its nothing fancy,, but it works..
    another thought on the whole cracked receiver issue...
    1917,s 1903,s and Krags all have square shoulder threads, and the crush is at the shoulder of the barrel, not in the threads like a Mauser, or Remington 700.
    the barrel shoulder is very soft, and will crush back well before the receiver will give way... and another reason you can tighten them so tight,,or loose for that matter.
    iv had them just fall loose before.
    run a file edge across the shoulder of a crusty ol take off barrel..youll see it cuts right into the steel like butter,, run the same file on the edge face of a receiver,,i slips over the surface without marking it, if you push hard you can cut through the surface to the soft steel under...but the surface is hard.
    a old trick to get a barrel to index is a tighten and back...run the barrel tight, pull it back and reset the index a couple times till the lines meet up...
    or if the lines over index, roll the soft shoulder so the lines set back up..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I have a Johnson new out of the wrap never on a rifle barrel, asking $165 plus shipping. Advise if interested.

Has anyone tried the CMP's Criterion barrels? I was wondering if they were five groove or 4?
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I would also like to know 4 or 5 grooves

+ Reply to Thread