Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remington's new versa max

Default Remington's new versa max

I like the way Remington designed this shotgun to work with any length shell!

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I haven't heard about that one yet. I guess we'll start getting calls asking do we have one yet. That's usually how I find out what the latest articles are in the gun mags. I wonder if it will ever make it to production.

though im not a big fan of the Euro owned new Remington...i like that shotgun..wonder how hard it is to keep clean...
    after the company went cheapy a few years ago..i lost interest.
    had an issue with them on a bolt replacement a couple years ago.. i sent a 1980,s vintage 700 back for them to replace the bolt...and they replaced the trigger as well, with one of the POS adjustable triggers they have now...called em up,..said...my customer wants his old trigger back, wasnt anything wrong with it..
    finally talked with a manager.
    he siad.. we didnt charge you for the trigger...so...i didnt ask you to change it..the customer wants his old trigger assembly back..and he will send this one back to you..
    its a POS.
    he said, its much safer then the older type...and lets the shooter adjust the pull...lol..no it doesnt. only the post travel.. we go back and forth...and he finally agrees to send the old trigger back.
    personally i think they have really cheapened up the brand, trying to compete with other cheap guns..
    i notice the sell the 700 varmit, with cheasy scope and mounts for 699.00 if they tossed the scope and mounts in the trash. spent more time on the stock..and sold it for the same price, it would be a better rifle...chances are the scope it has wont last 6 mos, anyway..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    I haven't heard about that one yet. I guess we'll start getting calls asking do we have one yet. That's usually how I find out what the latest articles are in the gun mags. I wonder if it will ever make it to production.
    Somehow, I think through the "My Remington" tab on their site, I get new product emails. It's listed in their web catalog.

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...versa-max.aspx
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I checked with my local shop today. $1600 for the black one $1700 for the camo. A little to pricey for this old boy. I guess I will be shotting my 1100 for a while longer. Bought it in 1970 and it is still working fine.

anyone know if they are US made or Euro made?
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

What ever happened to forged and milled steel?
    Mim parts,polymers,painted finishes,it's all a sign of the times we live in.
    I used to own Remingtons,ended up trading most of them off for garands over the years. I finally bought a new one a few years ago, a 700 limited edition in 7mm mag. Its a sweet looking rifle, matte black metal, camo stock with a Rocky Mountain Elk medalion inlayed into it. It shoots ok but I must say the overall quality is nothing compared to the old ones I used to have. It looks good, shoots good, but it feels cheap.
    I also sold off all my Remington 1100 shotguns, I never found them to be all that reliable myself. Give me an A5 anyday.
    I'm curious about their recent m1911. Its looks like an ok entry level piece. Some say junk because its a mim gun. Damn, I own 3 Kimbers that are supposed to be top shelf 1911's and their mim guns too.
    I'm not so sure though that I would lay out the cash they want for this new shotgun. I did that years ago on a SBE two barrel setup. Including the Leupold scope on the slug barrel I must have $2k into that rig. As nice and lightweight as it is, my old A5's kill skeet and deer just as good. What was I thinkin when I "just had to have me an Italiain"?
    I collect expensive hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    What ever happened to forged and milled steel?
    Mim parts,polymers,painted finishes,it's all a sign of the times we live in.
    I used to own Remingtons,ended up trading most of them off for garands over the years. I finally bought a new one a few years ago, a 700 limited edition in 7mm mag. Its a sweet looking rifle, matte black metal, camo stock with a Rocky Mountain Elk medalion inlayed into it. It shoots ok but I must say the overall quality is nothing compared to the old ones I used to have. It looks good, shoots good, but it feels cheap.
    I also sold off all my Remington 1100 shotguns, I never found them to be all that reliable myself. Give me an A5 anyday.
    I'm curious about their recent m1911. Its looks like an ok entry level piece. Some say junk because its a mim gun. Damn, I own 3 Kimbers that are supposed to be top shelf 1911's and their mim guns too.
    I'm not so sure though that I would lay out the cash they want for this new shotgun. I did that years ago on a SBE two barrel setup. Including the Leupold scope on the slug barrel I must have $2k into that rig. As nice and lightweight as it is, my old A5's kill skeet and deer just as good. What was I thinkin when I "just had to have me an Italiain"?
    What happened to forged an milled steel??

A lot of folks said they wanted it and not enough would buy it. I remember well the ill fated Winchester "Super X Number 1" auto shotgun. Winchester did a lot of market research and a heck of a lot of folks said they wanted a real forged steel and walnut shotgun. Well Winchester produced it and it opened to good reviews but didn't sell because it was (A) heavy and (B) expensive. When it was time to buy folks were much more likely to buy 1100s. Not all forged steel and a lot of stampings but they worked about as well and cost a good bit less. It turned out to be one of the nails in Winchester's coffin.

I shoot a Remington 870. It is a shotgun that compared to a Model 12 is truly made "on the cheap." In over thirty years of shooting I have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo through it hunting upland game, waterfowl (lots of duck and goose hunting!!) and on various clay pigeon ranges. It's never had a hiccup and I'd take it over any Model 12 ever built and guess what, it's price makes it viable and the Model 12 wasn't. Oh, before you ask, yes I have shot more than one Model 12.

One day while at firearms qualification I got to shoot a Benelli Super 90 that the Houston P.D. had bought for their entry team guys. It had a plastic stock. The finish looked like spray paint. It put every other autoloading shotgun I've ever shot to shame and by a large margin. Five slugs in five inches in five seconds at 25 yards, no problem. Clay pigeons? I usually need a little break in with a new gun, not this one, I was busting everything right away. Benelli Super 90 or Browning Auto 5? I'm sorry, I'm as nostalgic as the next guy but if I was in the market for an autoloading shotgun that Benelli would win hands down. I've shot Auto 5's too.

Oh, my deer rifle is a Remington Model 700 Classic in .250 Savage. Now that's old/new walnut and steel along with a little aluminum and a tiny bit of brass.
    Last edited by Art; 08-15-2010 at 01:42.

+ Reply to Thread