Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Value on Krag bayonet.....

Question Value on Krag bayonet.....

Ideas on the value of this Krag bayonet appreciated. Dated 1899 - marked US and 230 on opposite side. Thanks.
    Attached Images

value? about 50 bucks---what they sell for 125-150. Thats why I no longer buy them! Yours is nice, altho I do not know what the 230 number is!

"230" is the serial number. --Jim

Coincidentally I own Krag serial 230.

Krag bayonets aren't serialized.

Interesting fact about the Krag bayonet. It was used at West Point on their Krag, Springfield and M1 rifles. Finally replaced with the advent of the M14.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Dan, wasn't the Cadet bayonet a shortened version? I saw a Swiss bayonet on ebay once being sold as a Krag bayonet, hard to tell them apart, it had a serial # on the ricasso though.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

It's all about condition on the bayonets. Has it been sharpened? Knicks in the edge? Have the slabs been replaced? Correct slab rivet configuration for the date? 5Mad is correct in that Krag bayonets were not serialed. Depending on all these factors and the candition and model of scabbard the prices have become obscene. A really good one can bring from $100 (lucky find) to $200+. Used to buy them for $40 to $60 bucks. A wise old fellow once told me to buy the best condition you can afford. Since then it's more about quality and not quantity for me. I have passed on a lot of bayonets in questionable condition. They'd have to be cheap. Yours looks pretty decent without a close up of the blade.

The cadet bayonets you are thinking of went with the original cadet rifles. Those that the Academy used were standard size bayonets modified to fit the current issue rifles through the years. Another note: older dated bayonets 94,95,96 are much harder to find in really good condition because of the use factor. I wouldn't be real picky about a 94 or 95 dated item.

Thanks to all for the responses and information. It was an assumption that it fit on the business end of a Krag. I picked it up at a yard sale 20 years ago for 20 bucks. Overall I would say it is in very good condition. Blade not sharp - no knicks - stored and not used hard - the metal scabbard has some minor dings in it. All 3 of the markings - date - US - "serial #" - are of a different size and "font". Money is tight right now and I am thinking of selling - pondering on the proper price. I'll provide better pictures on request it there is interest.
    Last edited by en-bloc; 08-30-2010 at 10:40. Reason: duplicated word

Default If there is any SERIOUS Krag bayonet collector out there...

who is willing to take a plunge... Murphy's Gun Shop in Tucson has a Krag Bowie bayonet (a real one) in apparently mint condition, with scabbard, for sale. One of only half a dozen or so extant, IIRC.
    Oh, yeah: the sticker price is $3500.
    mhb - Mike

+ Reply to Thread