Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lyman All American 4x scope

Default Lyman All American 4x scope

Anyone have any experience, good or bad with Lyman All American scopes? I got one on a Husquvarna Mauser 30-06 I just bought at a local estate auction and I was wondering if it was worth leaving on the gun or should I look for a replacement. I know it's pretty old but it's in very nice condition and the optics seem clear. The only down side is it has a very fine cross-hair reticule which is a bit hard to see with 70+ year old eyes.

Just looking for opinions. I havn't had a chance to shoot it yet but hope to soon, weather permitting.

I have one on a Mauser Sporter in 358 Winchester. Just got back from Eastern Montana where I took a Buck and 3 does. From 50 to 250 yards. The scope works well.

They're good, I still have several "All Americans."

These scopes were considered good quality in their time, but suffer from two issues common to scopes of their era.

One is the very fine crosshairs you mention, and the other is lack of or less than optimum coatings. Light transmission is noticably poorer than a modern top quality scope.

Personally, unless you want to replace it with a top of the line scope, I would leave it on and continue to use it.

I note this rifle has an aperture sight base installed -- the rest of the sight was removed when the scope was installed.

There's a certain 'classiness' in having a scope of the same vintage as the rifle. Barring any problems with this scope, I'd keep it. I'm still looking for a vintage scope to fit on a 1953 vintage Winchester 70 I bought last year. The new stuff just doesn't look right.

Weaver scopes "fit" the post war rifles very well. Also the older fixed power Leupolds date from that era. My 1953 model 70 sports a 4x Leupold. You can find these scopes in good condition at gun shows and auctions.

The advantage of the Leupold is that the warranty is still in effect, and from experience I know they do honor it with no questions asked.

From my experience with Weaver 4X and Lyman All American 4X I would say the Lyman is better. Lyman's top of the line 4X in that era was the challenger. It had a 26mm tube. I would say leave the All American on the rifle.

Default Period scopes on vintage rifles

Thanks all for the input and info. I believe I will leave the 4x All American where it is assuming it zeros OK and takes the recoil. My only reservation is the fact that this rifle probably hasn't been fired in at least 20 years and that old scope my not like being buffeted by 30-06 recoil. I hope it hangs in OK.
    I agree with keeping period scopes on vintage rifles where practical. My early 50s vintage 03 sporter wears a Weaver KV in a Paul Jaeger side mount.

While the crosshairs on both scopes are very fine, the Lyman seems to me to be a little brighter.

+ Reply to Thread