Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPFLD ARMORY M1 Carbine value??

Default SPFLD ARMORY M1 Carbine value??

I have a decent springfield armory carbine with good looking repaired potbelly stock and a vented blued metal handguard. Has bayonet lug and late style rear peep.

Any ROUGH guesstimate at the value? I know it is not a "real" carbine, just looking to price i before I sell it.

SA never manufactured M1 carbines, plus the hand guard isnt USGI, SA did overhaul some after WW2

He's talking about Springfield Armory in Geneseo, IL. I don't know what the value would be.

Oh, I never saw one, I dont like the newer made pieces anyway..my M1A from SA in Ill.. was junk!

They are not a bad carbine made as commercial copy. I would guess somewhere between $300 and $500 depending on condition and the market in your area.

The SAinc. carbine receivers from Genesseo actually were pretty darn good receivers. I, too, balked when they first came out and I wish i had purchased many of them before SAinc. quit making them. Great for a "shootin' carbine" for CMP games matches and stuff.

When last sold in the 90s, the receivers were $59 each at Camp Perry and GI parts kits out of Libyan demils were around $200, a match made in heaven. They appear the best of the non-GI. However you can't win anything with them at CMP games as they are not GI receivers, this is in the rule book, peculiar, and I wish CMP would change it. They allow other than Colt and FN receivers on AR service rifles so they should allow the SA and IJ carbines as well. Note the metal handguard is not match acceptable either, but was never GI. Regards, John

Good point about them not being CMP games match legal. Should have thought about that.

I have assembled several M1 carbines using Springfield, Inc., receivers back when they were available around the turn of the century. Very good quality, fit and finish, and look really good. I assembled one using post war USGI Springfield Armory parts, including barrel and stock, which turned out very nice (pictured below).

Ten years ago when the receivers were available and cost a hundred bucks or less it was reasonably economical to build one and was certainly a lot of fun. Unless you just wanted to spend a grand to build a $500 gun, I doubt it would be worthwhile these days to assemble one using a commercial receiver.

- Change it back -

Faulkner--Nice carbine! Many years back, I took one of the SA receivers and assembled it with all the postwar SA parts that they made, similar to what you did. Barrel, bolt, TH, rear sight, barrel band, trigger, sear, recoil plate, front sight, slide, etc. the whole nine yards. I even found a new SA stock and handguard for it. In the sling cut, there is a circle with the DOD eagle and stars and it has a very small cartouche on the right side. Marked SA on the flat beside the barrel channel. I had never seen one marked that way, but it looks legit. Never shot it, I just thought it would be cool to have a "Springfield Armory" carbine. The receivers I saw are very well made and this one sure made a nice looking gun. I wish I could post pics--I'm working on becoming adept at camera work. I would not part with this one for less than $750 or so, but that's just the value I place on it for the sheer novelty.

+ Reply to Thread