Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat carbine Barrel?

Default Wildcat carbine Barrel?

Anyone have a carbine barrel in a wildcat caliber?
    Looking for a part to a remodel.
    Ron

Default carbine wildcats etc

I once installed a 5.7mm Johnson chambered barrel on a Plainfield carbine for a friend, it worked out ok. There was also a 22 Carbine widcat too. Had another friend start a 30 Kurz project, using 308 cases cut back to 1.290 then necked to 30 cal. Just like the WW2 German 7.92x33 Kurz cartridge. You had to open the bolt face and alter the gas system. The type of bullet was restricted by the length of the carbine magazine and still too powerful for the carbine action.

The 22 wildcats should push a 40 gr 224 dia bullet to 3000 fps out of the carbine, photo shows some different 22 wildcats but not all related to the carbine. Cartridge on the left is a factory Soviet 5.45x18 pistol cartridgeAttachment 7518

That is something I think I would like to do with some of the extra Carbine parts I have.
    Since it is a mixed bag , there is no use for another 30 cal. Would like to find a different barrel.
    Thanks for the picture.
    Ron

"...Would like to find a different barrel..." It'd be an expensive custom made barrel. Gunparts is listing 5.7 Johnson/.22 Spitfire barrels at $202.70. Dies are easy to get, but you'll be forming the cases.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Yes , looked at it, I think these are the more common conversions?
    Probably not the best preformance in accruacy , but different .
    Ron

Ron, No matter what conversion you decide on your not going to get super accuracy out of a carbine system. But the Johnson Spitfire conversion does move a 40 gr. bullet at 2800 fps from the normal 18 inch barrel at about 36,000 psi which is a good operating pressure for the carbine systems. It does make a very good varmint round.

Anyoe care to explain why .357 is a horrible conversion for the carbine before I invest any time in it?

A rimless version of the 357 will always feed better from a carbine magazine, There is a 9mm wildcat based on a short 223 case used in the carbine or you could attempt to use the 9x23 factory cartridge. The old Winchester 35 cal self loader was a 38 special rimless . It all depends on what you want to use - factory or customer cartridges. There is also a 30/357 cartridge made by necking down the 357 to 30 cal - often found in Model 1892 Winchesters

Reamer may not be too hard to get but barrels with correct diameters would be.
    Ron

Default 5.7 Johnson conversion; precaution

I once converted an old carbine to the .22 spitfire, and found one very interesting point the hard way. The barrel I got (can't remember where I bought it) came from S. Carolina somewhere. I believe someone down there does conversions and sells parts. Well, unfortunately for me, the gas piston was silver soldered, not welded and the very high pressure of the rounds eventually caused the piston to break off. I have to say, though I had a blast using my carbine and accurately shooting my reloads at 250 yards. Next to 3006 accelerators that was probably the most fun I had at the range ever. Just be careful with the gas piston, and the brass. I formed new cases and trimmed them after each use; they do stretch. AA powder book I believe has the specs for the 40 gr bullet. I even put a scope on and used a folding stock like the original advertisement in the comic books with the guy shooting crocodiles somewhere.
    Last edited by myflagofhonor; 12-20-2010 at 07:12. Reason: added info

+ Reply to Thread