Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stevens 520-30 Trenchgun stock

Default Stevens 520-30 Trenchgun stock

I just bought a 520 and it all appears to be correct according to the research I've done here and a few other sites, HOWEVER I understand that the buttstock should be seriaized to the gun. I can't find a stamping on my buttstock. Where should it be or I misinformed? BTW, the SN is 69,633.

Also, mine has a JC Higgins buttplate. What do you think; is the butt plate wrong? What should an original buttplate look like and where could I find an original?
    Last edited by Fessor; 01-10-2011 at 03:00.

The serial number is stamped on the face of the stock that slides into the reciever. You must remove the stock to see the numbers. The butt plate is not marked.
    Derrick

SN 69,633.

That's the second highest Model 520 trench gun serial number I have observed or heard of. The highest is 69985 that was reported by Eric Archer over 20 years ago.

I pulled the buttstock to look for the SN and found that the area where the stock contacts the rear of the receiver has been glass bedded for a snug fit between the 2 pieces. Therefore, I cannot see the SN. Has anyone heard of glass bedding the stock to receiver? The bedding compound is brown in color like I have seen on M1 garands.
    Last edited by Fessor; 01-11-2011 at 11:15. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    SN 69,633.

That's the second highest Model 520 trench gun serial number I have observed or heard of. The highest is 69985 that was reported by Eric Archer over 20 years ago.
    I've got that beat with 69995

+ Reply to Thread