Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Browning 2000

Default Browning 2000

I'm going to sell my Browning 2000 12 gauge. It is the 3" magnum model with a 30 inch, full choke, vent ribbed barrel. It is one of the last Belgian made Brownings. It is in excellent condition, and I have the original box. I have seen asking prices ranging from $250 to $650 which I think are extreme in both directions. I was thinking of $350. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 02-18-2011 at 01:04. Reason: Add picture

Picture?

I collect Auto5 Brownings and have also had a few of these 2k's. I sold my last one to a buddy of mine who still hunts with it every year. My local gunshop usually has all the used Brownings in the same rack so I see the prices every week. One big thing obviously is condition. I've seen these 2k's around the $300-400 range that show honest wear or have scratches, maybe some minor pitting or a modificaton etc. Better ones with only minor blems are in the 450 range. All out new shape 550ish. The other thing I've noticed though is they don't move much. I stop by this shop at least once a week, sometimes more, and many of the old Brownings sit in the racks for a long time with an ocassional sale or new addition. What seems to get them moving is every so often they will have a clearance sale and mark them down or give 10 or 20 percent off etc. FWIW, the one I sold my buddy was like new with original box and papers, he offered me $350 for it so I sold it to him. I was happy and he was happy. I feel it was maybe worth $50 to 100 more than that but then he's one of my best friends and you can't put a price on that. If he had offered me 200 I probably would have said yes.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

Price often depends on regional preferences. I think $350- $450 is about right for a gun like yours with a 28" Mod. barrel. These days a 30" full choke barrel is a specialty item. It is not good for much. Even here in the South preferences have changed. When they ran dogs to deer hunt, a 30" full choke Browning was the king of the woods. Not very many folks dog hunt anymore and no one will even look at the 30"/3" guns we have on the sale rack. You may have to sell on the low end just to generate interest.

What did you hunt in Idaho with a 3" shotgun? I guess one could still duck hunt with your gun. Although steel shot is not recommended in the thinner Belgian barrels, I shot a gun like yours for years with steel shot. I did bulge the barrel behind the choke but still killed ducks.

HTH,

Emri

Actually I never used this gun in Idaho. I used it to hunt ducks and geese in California before the lead shot ban. I think it would make a pretty good turkey gun for here. Granted it's a little too pretty, but new guns for turkey hunting would be much more expensive.

Brad,

I'm bo expert, but I can see $350 is a killer price for that gun. It's beautiful. Can you change barrels on it?

jn

Yes Jon, the barrel is easy to change. I only want to sell it because I just don't see me using it at all any more. I bought a Remington 1187 (NIB) from a relative, and it is all the shotgun I need. Someone might as well get some use out of the Browning. By the way, that picture really doesn't do the French Walnut stock and forend justice. I'm beginning to think I'll ask $400, and see what happens.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 02-19-2011 at 03:43.

Try an internet auction on Gunbroker. I sold one in 98% condition, 28" Mod. 2 3/4" a couple of years ago that brought near $500. I forgot about turkeys, but it is too shiney for that. I guess a new owner could cover it up with that sticky, gooey camo tape !

i have a browning 2000 20 gauge and its having problems ejecting the shell. any reason why?

The biggest issue these guns have are not being cleaned and lubed correctly, or weak ammo. Make sure its clean, and that means everything inside, not just the bore. If you do not know how to take it apart bring it to a gunsmith for a complete teardown, clean, inspect and lube. They can also be prone to breaking the ejector.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

+ Reply to Thread