Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing 1903A3 barrel: easy to do?

Question Replacing 1903A3 barrel: easy to do?

(And by "easy," I mean "easy for a competent gunsmith to do.")

I have a mix-master Remington 1903A3 in good shape, but the barrel is pretty worn with some pitting. New-in-wrap USGI 03A3 barrels are pretty easy to find (unlike 1903 barrels). Is replacing the barrel on an 03A3 pretty straight forward? Are there other parts that I need to acquire, in addition to the barrel?

Thanks.

Have you shot it yet? You might find that it shoots just fine with out changing the bbl. If you are looking to replace it you are going to have a lot of money tied up in it to do the job right and not damage it. You need get an experienced gunsmith who can do jobs like this and has the right equipment.
    Last edited by Weasel; 02-23-2011 at 08:44.

Have a heavily frosted Russian SVT 40 Tokarev that shoots 1 1/2" to 2 " groups @ 100 yds if factory Norma ammo or good handloads are used. Same with my late father in laws old 98K Spanish 8mm, v v dark, frosted bore, but with good ammo it shot 2" groups.

You got good advice above on leaving it be, but unless you have the proper year & month dated bbl,that matches the one that your serial # is, & that matches the color and/or the present bbl has proven to be shotout, I'd leave it be.

Check the crown of the muzzle, it just might need re-crowning too.

I changed one out last month. In addition to the action wrench, barrel vice, headspace gages, and pull through reamer I needed the use of an engine lathe to move the shoulder back so the barrel would 'index' correctly. Some barrels come close enough to not require any machine work, but others don't. Just the luck of the draw on barrel selection. It's not a hard or lengthy job, just takes the right stuff. If you are close to my area I'd be OK with showing you how it's done, NC.

Thanks guys!

And thanks for the offer Dave, but I'm in AZ.
    Last edited by GI-45; 02-22-2011 at 12:17.

It is a 30 minute job with the right tools. Turning the shoulder is not the correct way to do the installation. Doing so means you do not have the correct barrel vise or wrench.

OK, I hear what you're saying but there is a torque requirement for setting a new barrel and if the index mark is better than 3/8 inch from the mark when you've reached the proper torque, you better look for something more than a five foot cheater bar. I refuse to take metal off the face of the action. The barrel shoulder on the rifle in question was not an original government barrel. It was a criterion after market barrel. There were other dimensions that were not to specification for original barrels.

if needed, i have a few A3 barrels available....installed...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

+ Reply to Thread