Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eddystone 1917 and JA Barrel Questions - Help Needed

Default Eddystone 1917 and JA Barrel Questions - Help Needed

I have an opportunity to get an Eddystone M1917 in a trade, but I am concerned that it has an undated JA barrel on it. I have read some cautionary statements that Eddystones with a re-barrel are subject to some potential receiver cracks. Is the JA barrel a replacement, and need I be worried? Thanks for any / all speedy answers.

Johnson Automatics (JA) made replacement barrels during WWII. Apparently some rebarreled Eddystones have been found to have cracked receivers. I've never heard of one with an original barrel being cracked. The most commonly heard cause for this is that the original barrels were in so tight that the torque required to remove them caused some receivers to crack. Most people think that the issue has been way overstated but there are (were) some gunsmiths that refused to take on Eddystone rebarreling jobs. Others say that if the job is done properly cracking is not an issue.
    Anyway, if you have a concern, a common method of locating cracks in metal is to dab ample amounts of rubbing alcohol to the receiver ring surface(you'll want to remove the rifle from the stock of course). The idea is that the alcohol will soak into a crack. Once the metal surface is well soaked quickly dry it off with a towel. If there is a crack you should see the alcohol seeping back out of it. Machine shops also offer a "Magnaflux" for finding cracks.

Yes , JA is a WW2 replacement bbl. The reciever crack problem is vastly overblown and not common at all. It is easy to check for , so I'd just check it out. Remove the action from the stock and spray the front of the reciever with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. After spraying it enough to remove the oil , watch as it dries. If there is a crack , the cleaner will stay liquid longer in it and you will see it. Repeat as needed to verify.
    Chris

Whoops , slow on the draw again.
    Last edited by emmagee1917; 03-10-2011 at 11:54.

every JA barrel iv installed has been a great shooter...great for cast bullet shooters as well.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

+ Reply to Thread