Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T44e4 stocks

Default T44e4 stocks

Were they ever used? Were they birchwood or Walnut? What type of handguard was used?

Thanx,
    Chuck

Default T44 stock

Early T44 stock variations were both walnut and plastic with M1 type buttplates, photo shows an M1A in a walnut T44 stock. Handguard was very thin walnutAttachment 9537

To the best of my knowledge, the T44 stocks were a developmental item concurrent with the T44 rifle and by the time of general issue of the M14 the standard stock as we know it had been adopted. That's not to say that a T44 stock could not have been encountered somewhere, but they were not the standard issue stock. All of the T44 stocks I have seen were walnut. While some plastic varieties may have been experimented with, the standard plastic stocks that we are all familiar with were initially contracted for by the army in 1968 and at the time represented the application of recently developed technology that made it possible to manufacture the stock.

There were two types of plastic M14 stocks that used the hinged buttplate, the first type of plastic stock did not have any checkering and was issued during training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo during early 1964 on some TRW rifles. The later type of plastic M14 stock with the checkering patterns molded into the stock came later. The plastic M14 stock without the hinged buttplates have been found on early four digit test rifles. There is also some speculation as to the types of non hinged (M1 Rifle) buttplates used on these early stocks as examples of the aluminum types have surfaced.

Default early and later fiberglass M14 stocks

Attachment 9765Attachment 9766Attachment 9767Attachment 9768Attachment 9769some photos of the early smooth side and later checkered pattern fiberglass M14 stocks

I have seen exactly three orginal G.I. M14 buttstocks that were made for the Garand buttplate. Alll three were walnut and all three came out of NAS Crane.

Two T44E4 rifles I've examined (13xx & 15xx) both had walnut butt stocks (with Garand butt plates) and hand guards.
    We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target of opportunity?

- Maj. Kong

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

Way back in the mid to late 60s, M14 / T44 walnut stocks using the M1 type butt plate, were common with the used parts dealers here in N.J. They came from Raritan Arsenal surplus sales. When Raritan closed down they burned thousands of wooden stocks of all types. The smoke caused the temporary shut down of the Garden State Parkway ( east of the arsenal) one day. I had at least three of the walnut stock / handguard sets. I cut one to take a folding butt plate, traded one off, and still have one on my modified H&R M1 7.62mm NATO rifle.
    Attached Images

First let's define both. The T44 was different from the T44E4. Most use the term T44 as a shortcut, or not knowing both existed, but they were two different rifles.

The T44E4 was the early version of the M14. The early stock (Garand butt plate) went on in early M14 production, until circa sometime in mid 1960. It was replaced by the flipper butt plate walnut stock, initially. As production continued, walnut was not the only type of wood used.

The early plastic stock (no checkering and flipper butt plate) came out sometime in 1961, if I recall.

One thing to keep in mind. When you refer to the early M14 production, do not use the term T44. It was T44E4.

+ Reply to Thread