Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fake Custer "carbine" on Antiques Road Show

Default Fake Custer "carbine" on Antiques Road Show

I watched the show last night. They were in Billings MT and found an "expert" to discuss the firearms used at the Little Big Horn. The person showed a cut down rifle and described it as a custer era carbine. He valued the gun at 10-15K. The program was an insult to all knowledgable collectors!

British antiques road show; Woman brought in a Colt Walker that was ISSUED to an ancestor. She had all the family history.
    Appraiser: You have a Colt Walker revolver, worth around 2 thousand pounds BUT you should have the grips changed because they are a bit "tatty" At the time that was a bit more than three thousand five hundred dollars. I would sure as heck take our a home loan if I could get one for that price!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    I watched the show last night. They were in Billings MT and found an "expert" to discuss the firearms used at the Little Big Horn. The person showed a cut down rifle and described it as a custer era carbine. He valued the gun at 10-15K. The program was an insult to all knowledgable collectors!
    Any idea who this "expert" was?
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-16-2011 at 12:24.

musketshooter

Did the guy describe the rifle as from the "Custer era" or from the Battle of the Little Bighorn? Two completely different things.

I too would like to know the name of the expert.

Ray

Dick, Christopher Mitchell was the "expert" i have sent you the link to the segment and you can watch it yourself and render an opinion.

Thanks Tom - I viewed the link, but did not see any gun(s) brought in by the public? Link was 1st hour only. The "field" segment seemed OK, except for him (I do not know Mr. Mitchell) calling the rear sight the front sight! I'd recorded that gun (19300) - it's been for sale off and on - on the bigbux circuit.

The only trapdoor was that field segment. I did think the watercolor of Yellowstone was airy.

The field segment sans the painted elk thing:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/video/201002F01.html

You could tell from the barrel length it was not a carbine. He also avoided showing the left side because I suspect there was no saddle ring and bar. I sent a message to the producers of the show and actually received a reply saying they would contact the "expert".

I doubt they'll contact the 'expert'. Couple years ago, Discovery had that series about "The Underground". One show the guy was under some hotel in NY City. There was a rail yard below the hotel's basement. Sitting at a siding was a "mysterious" railroad car. The "expert" was saying that it was armored and belonged to FDR. That it brought his limo to NY. HOW they'd have gotten it into the RR car was never explained. The markings on the side of the car was a 'secret' code indicating that the car belonged to the government. Sent the producers an email, telling them the "secret code" was the abbreviation for a Mid-West Agricultural Co-op, and that the 'armored car' was actually a refrigerated unit. Received an email saying "We'll get back to you." Never did hear back from them.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Sounds alot like the "weapons expert" used on Pawn Stars. Nick

+ Reply to Thread