Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Annealed Receivers

Default Annealed Receivers

Was there a serial number range of McFarland accepted rifles that were annealed by Springfield during the manufacturing process? Or, were there other rifles that were annealed at the time of manufacture

Hi Johnny. I don't know if there has been any more recent information discovered about this subject, but years ago Bob Seijas wrote an aritcle in the GCA Journal in which he speculated that receivers from about the 1.4 mil range on up could have been annealed at the factory. These would have been receivers not yet completed or receivers held in reserve.

I have a 1.43 receiver that is annealed with a fresh green WWII type park. When I bought it it looked brand spanking new with a thick fresh coat of park, it's hasn't worn much either. It was barreled to a new barrel and nice bolt but married to a really bad parts kit. I've always thought it must have been reparked at some point but wondered whether it was arsenal done or commercial. I thought I remembered CMP selling mint condition receivers at one point. It definitely looks different than other annealed receivers I've seen mostly because it looks new with that fresh park. I think I'll have to read that GCA article. I always thought all annealed receivers were done in the field and therefore this had to have been torn apart and reparked it some point. Interesting.≈

I have a 1.55 that is all original, original finish, and is a really old DCM gun. It has the annealed receiver.

My 1.3 mil. Winchester has an annealed heel. Made in June 1943.

1471154 original SA/EMcF annealed...3-43 SA barrel,...McF has 2 small upside down diamond proofs in cartouche...I believe original factory annealing, never overhauled

Six-digit SA, 980XXX,annealed receiver.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

Nice pic! Mine is 847071 - no annealing.
    Attached Images
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Here's my 1.43 after being restocked. It needed a bit of work the op rod was hitting me in the head when I first got it doh!
    myM1Garand2..jpgmyM1Garand3..jpgmyM1Garand1..jpg

Only the heel is annealed, the lugs are normal. It seems to be in a straight line and ends a little bit before the rear sight base rather than some where I've seen the annealing go at an angle under the sight base.

+ Reply to Thread