Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Electric Ignition

Default Black Powder Electric Ignition

My son is bringing by one off the new electric ignition rifles that has a lot of misfires which need fixing. It also has a Leupold scope mounted and the rifle doesn't group.

I can check the scope mounting to see if something is loose but have no idea on the electronic ignition. Can check the contact and battery but that is about all I can do.

Any pointers about the electronic firing rifles?

If it wasn't for my son I wouldn't touch this repair with a 20 ft pole.

Love those "primitive hunt" rifles.

That struck me the same way

Sorry Rick, I don't have an honest answer for you. Have you tried jumper cables and a pickup truck? Couldn't resist.

Default Why?

Rick, please ask your son why he's even interested in that type of gun.
    I always thought that "keeping your powder dry" was part of the challenge of black powder shooting.
    Guess I just don't understand......

So whatever happened to percussion caps????

I suppose the next thing will be muzzle loading Phazers

I shot black powder for many years until our club lost our range. Since it was black powder muzzleloading I never found any problem with pouring loose powder instead of pellets down the barrel, seating a round ball with a cloth patch instead of a plastic sabot, and igniting the whole thing with a No.11 cap while looking over open sights.
    Our local gun shop quit taking traditional muzzleloaders in trade as no one was interested in them. I thought the idea was to hunt the way our forefathers did, but somewhere that went astray.

Default Electric Ignition

First, and obvious, check any contacts, such as battery (if it uses a battery), or if not, make sure the extension cord is in good shape, and plugged into an outlet.

Seriously, call the manufacturer if he is still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    First, and obvious, check any contacts, such as battery (if it uses a battery), or if not, make sure the extension cord is in good shape, and plugged into an outlet.

Seriously, call the manufacturer if he is still in business.
    Thats what I was thinking. See what the manufacturer has to say. Still got an owners manual for it? Might be some troubleshooting info in it. Is the bore totally clean? Any oil will contaminate the powder. Using the correct type and grade of powder? Is the powder old?
    I'm not familiar with these although I have heard of them. What actually sets off the powder in the bore itself? There must be some sort of electrode/tips or something,possibly those areas are corroded in the barrel/breech itself.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

Thanks for the replies. Good advise and some chuckles.

The rifle is owned by a man that works for my son. I might look it over to see if anything really sticks out but thinking just to tell them to send it back to the manufacture.

Black Powder is all the rage back here in the Midwest. So far I've not been bitten by the bug. Did see a man shoot one at a Turkey shoot about fifty years ago. That's about all my experience with them.

Now you might wonder how I did at that turkey shoot. Well I went with two dollars and it cost a buck to shoot. A man asked me if I wanted to shoot so I put my dollar down and he handed me a set of dice. I thought I was rolling for first shot. Ended up I won a frozen bird. So I won one by mistake and didn't win when I shot at the turkey head.

My best friend won about a dozen turkeys shooting that day. With a beat-up Remington bolt gun using 22 shorts. We were about 11 years old at the time. He was just a little guy with coke bottle glasses. Got to the point the men wouldn't shoot against him.

Black powder old? They have dug up civil war ordnance and the powder is still good! Some folks found out the HARD way when trying to disarm the projectiles.

My favourite story;
    A family bought a couple of andirons for their summer cottage. They put them in place, started a fire to warm up the cottage then went for a walk. On returning they found the fireplace and one wall of the cottage missing. their "andirons" were a pair of 10 pounder Parrot shells!

I do believe even dug up revolutionary war ordnance still had perfectly good black powder.

Have seen a copy of a late Navy tech manual about civil war ordnance, I believe 1950's but not certain. Seems one of the Navy installations was there before the Civil war. Sailors were finding the stuff and having "unfortunate" accidents trying to disarm it for souveniers.

+ Reply to Thread