Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reloading .410 brass shells

Default reloading .410 brass shells

I have a bond derringer and having trouble holding the over the shot card in place in the second barrel when fired. I've used elmers glue and it works loose, looking for water glass but haven't found it so far. would like to do a light roll crimp but not sure which die to use and hate to take the dies apart to find out it won't work. i might be able to make something on the lathe but thought i'd ask here first what someone else may be doing.

I loaded 100 for a friend with a .444. Using the .444 dies, I used the roll crimp built into the RCBS dies and it worked great. Finished rounds got a layer of elmers glue as well. These rounds worked in my 410 bolt gun great as well. Note that my rounds were loaded in
    444 brass, I don't know if you have actual 410 brass, or if it will fit into the .444 dies, but it would be worth a try. The rounds I loaded were fired at close range at skunks, did a great job with #4's. Good luck,
    Chris

My first reloading was 410 full length brass shells and a Lee Loader. They used over sized wads on the full brass shells and different smaller wads on the paper cases.

Did I read,several years ago, that you could use 45-70 brass for loading .410 shot shells? Just wondering, Nick

Nick, I believe the .45-70 case is too large in body diameter just forward of the rim. Also, I believe the rim may be too large in diameter and/or thickness to work properly. And, the case is only about 2.1 inches long. On the other hand, as Chris noted, the .444 Marlin case may work. It is about 2.225 inches long and will chamber in an old .410 bolt action shotgun that I have. However, I have never tried to make .410 brass shotshells from the .444 Marlin cases. I just stick to modern plastic .410 hulls.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-07-2011 at 03:45.

[QUOTE=k arga;163440]I have a bond derringer and having trouble holding the over the shot card in place in the second barrel when fired. I've used elmers glue and it works loose, looking for water glass but haven't found it so far.

I've bought water glass at an auto parts store. It came in a tube like toothpaste and was used with a fiber glass as some kind of muffler repair product.

+ Reply to Thread