Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Roofers

Default Mexican Roofers

We have a man in town that has a Mexican roofing crew. This crew is unbelievable and just something to watch. Yesterday they showed up in the heat of the day and did my neighbors house. It was 97 with 50% humidity and this old guy with his little dog were worn out in about 5 minutes of walking outside.

Anyway they start and didn't let up until they finished later in the evening. Noticed they all had on long sleeve t shirts and a couple long sleeve shirts on. From the sound of their voices I think they were actually having a good time.

I thought to myself if all these folks work this hard I can see the writing on the wall for young Americans that don't have much of a work ethic. Too bad we couldn't trade Mexico people that wont work for people that want to work.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-28-2011 at 06:03.

Tell that too the 600+ folks who lost there jobs around here because the factory owner wanted to move to wetback land. An Rick no flame against you, just tired of all the mex workers beign hired for cheaper prices while hard working americans are laid off.

There's a roofing contractor around here that uses Mexicans. They do work fast. The company has crazy low prices. They did a roof up the street from me, an apartment building. My neighbor across the street is a contractor and said that he couldn't put a roof on my house for the price the other company was doing the (considerably) larger roof up the street. My roof is about a quarter the size of the other one and the other company had 8 Mexicans working that job. It's pretty sad when 8 Mexicans can do a roof for less than 2 guys could do a smaller roof.

See the Mexicans are on another job today. It cooler and a light mist today so they must be freezing.

Just thinking about our young people in town. Try to hire one to cut the grass, scoop the walks, stack firewood or do anything physical. They are for the most part all going to college and think on graduation people are going to give them high paying jobs where they will be paid for their intelligence. After all the are special and have been told so since they went to kindergarten.

Instead I see a bunch of kids deep in debt that will be highly educated gardeners for the Mexicans, living at home with mom and dad, and still playing computer games.

I had a local contractor install a roof using American labor. It took three days. I picked up roofing nails and snack wrappers for weeks. It took three call-backs to fix the leaks and obvious defects. Owner and his foreman had the take-it-or-leave-it attitude. I had my own roof replaced last year. The insurance company contracted a Mexican crew for the job. They showed up on a cold, clear February at dawn. The foreman introduced himself with his hat in his hand. They stood and watched until the sun cooked-off the frost, then, the ladders hit the roof. The outside air temp never went above 35 F. The foreman asked if he could use the garage for warming his men. The hammers stopped just as the last bit of light faded from the winter sky. Fifteen workers stood in the cold evening waiting for their transport. I invited them in out of the cold. They refused coffee, but accepted soda. When the truck came, they climbed in an open dump truck to go home. The next day, I inspected and found no trash and no nails on the ground. The roof looks better than it did new. The insurance adjuster told me that he had not a leak or defect since he started using this crew. I find it difficult to fault a man who swims a river or crosses a desert, rides for two days with twenty others in a fifteen passenger van, just so he can work installing a roof. The work ethic I observed mimicked that I saw in my Grandfather when I was a child. In the long run, only those who work eat. Even in Obama's Nation. Regards, Clark

My brother lives in Elgin, Texas. Whenever I visit, he drives me around town and always passes the Job Corner -- where people wait for someone who needs some work done to come by and hire them. And he always points out there are no native-born Americans standing on that corner.

The last roof I had put on, I forgot to specify "no Mexicans", so there was two wetbacks on the crew. I could not tell that they were any faster then the previous people that I have hired. But I don't think they were as happy as other people that I have hired.
    Bob

Mexican laborers put my roof on in just one day. Included taking off the old shingles. Great job!

I have been againste "illegal" invasion for many years. Now having said that, the average mexican and family are "good" people. Course I grew up around mexicans and a large part of my family is partially mexican. Not all mexicans are good workers once they get americanized. But my lifelong experience working around mexicans are they worth having around if you want to get something done. If you get the right people.
    I never have blamed the average mexican for wanting to feed his family and to flee a crooked and oppressive government. Kind of like here.

I wouldn't hire anyone illegal to do anything but this bunch is amazing.

I saw them ripoff several layers of shingles on a old three story mansion. Witnessed the job go from tear off to bare wood and back again in one day. I had my house done by a crew of Americans and they took a week and only worked a few hours a day. After all the work this crew did yesterday I see them over in the school playground playing soccer while two of their crew went over and over the yard picking up trash and nails. My crew left the yard a mess and put a tarp down that killed the grass in my front yard. The Mexicans left this job spotless.

You just have to take your hat off to people that will work. Heck one of the crew was female and I bet she could out work any man in town.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-28-2011 at 10:14.

+ Reply to Thread