Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: L.C Smith & Corona 03A3 Safety - serifed or not?

Default L.C Smith & Corona 03A3 Safety - serifed or not?

Hi guys
    This is my first post on this forum. This looks to be the place to get answers! Here is my question -- for a Smith Corona 03A3, should the lettering (SAFE - READY) on the safety be serifed or non-serifed? Are there any other features (like rounded corners) that are correct for a SC safety, besides the lettering?

I've seen the lettering in both configurations on SC rifles. Of course, most of the rifles have gone through rebuilds so it's difficult to know whether the rifles left the factory with serifed or non-serifed safeties. Perhaps either configuration is correct for a SC?

Thanks in advance!
    John

jac72t

Welcome to the forum. I expect that someone here will be able to answer your question accurately. I however, am not that person. I will include a link to a site that is referenced often called vishooter. http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/rem_sc_fps.jpg

From the picture I linked it appears both Rem and SC have serifed lettering, so there must be some other indicator besides that. The Rem safety is a bit hard to see, but it looks like the Y is serifed.

On this very topic, I would love it if one of the forum members could put together a picture of all of the safety levers side by side, showing the key identifying features. I'd do it myself, but I only have a few examples. Top, side, and end views would be most helpful. Just a thought.

Remington will all be marked with an "R", and depending on the serial #...it can be any combination of serif READY & block SAFE, both serif, or both block. All SC will be serif...both ready & safe, and no other marking.

A Smith-Corona safety lock has serifed letters on both sides, rounded corners, a small weep hole in the outer edge, and NO "R" marking on the rear surface.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Thank you gentlemen! Very helpful.
    Regards
    John
    Last edited by jac72t; 08-05-2011 at 08:23.

Since you're on the subject, I was digging through my parts and found a variation that I was unaware of. On the tip of the safety (spindle for lack of a description) the part that blocks bolt handle movement, I noticed that one has relief cut across half (50/50) and another has relief cut about 75%. What' the difference?

Randy - I believe J.B. posted the change to "50/50" was done in mid Rem '03 production. It continued throughout A3 pro.
    Last edited by Mike D; 08-04-2011 at 07:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Since you're on the subject, I was digging through my parts and found a variation that I was unaware of. On the tip of the safety (spindle for lack of a description) the part that blocks bolt handle movement, I noticed that one has relief cut across half (50/50) and another has relief cut about 75%. What' the difference?
    The change you describe was made in mid-1942 as a production shortcut. The 50/50 is the later style.

J.B.

Thanks, guess I missed that one, I get busy every now and then and miss out on the forum for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    A Smith-Corona safety lock has serifed letters on both sides, rounded corners, a small weep hole in the outer edge, and NO "R" marking on the rear surface.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
    Hi JB. I'm confused, I have about a dozen misc spare safeties and the ones I thought were S/C (rounded corners and block letters) have no weep holes. The pic in vishooter for S/C also has no hole. I have some mounted on rifles that do have weep holes. Possibly early and late S/C?

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by Tom; 10-30-2011 at 12:32.

+ Reply to Thread