Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WWI / WWII U.S. MODEL 1917 .45 DA Revolver Smith & Wesson and Holster $750 - make of

Default WWI / WWII U.S. MODEL 1917 .45 DA Revolver Smith & Wesson and Holster $750 - make of

I also have this posted on GB, but it would be great if it went to someone on these boards.

*** Sold ***

Thanks

WWI / WWII U.S. MODEL 1917 .45 DA Revolver Smith & Wesson and Holster

U.S. Army WWI Revolver Smith & Wesson Serial Number 148330

The M1917 Revolver (formally United States Revolver, Caliber .45, M1917) was a U.S. six-shot revolver of .45 ACP caliber. It was adopted by the U.S. Army in 1917 to supplement the standard M1911 .45 ACP semi-automatic pistol during World War I. Afterwards, it was primarily used by secondary and non-deployed troops. There were two variations of the M1917, one from Colt and one from S&W.

This Smith & Wesson 1907 DA Revolver chambered in the new .45 ACP (on half moon clips) was made in 1918 just as the Armistice was being signed in WWI.

This revolver is in very good condition for a pistol that is approaching 100 years old. The mechanism works like new. The finish is about 90% with small nicks, dings and small scratches here and there. There are good strong markings on the butt that read US ARMY Model 1917 No 148330. The barrel is marked “Property of the United States” on the underside, “S&W DA .45” on the left side and pressure test info on the right.

The Serial number is repeated on the crane and cylinder face. The serial number is also penciled in on the inside of the wood grips. The early (WWI) flaming bomb is near the hammer on the top left of the frame. Each relief on the cylinder and the frame also show a mark that looks like a pressure proof.

I am also including an original WWI leather holster that is in excellent condition. The holster is marked G&K, but the date has been rubbed out. This is the butt forward style of holster that was replaced in WWII with a butt rear type. The holster is intact including plug.

In all this appears to be an all original WWI revolver that has survived unaltered.

Last edited by desentis; 09-09-2011 at 08:56.

desentis -
    from what I can see, this is a very fair price for your rig. I have a practically identical pistol and holster that I wouldn't care to sell for that price. Someone out there is looking for this. Good luck!

PM sent with interest.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 09-09-2011 at 06:01.

Thanks I appreciate it, I've had it for a while, so price is hard to figure.

And now it's sold!

Quote Originally Posted by desentis View Post
    Thanks I appreciate it, I've had it for a while, so price is hard to figure.

And now it's sold!
    Darn...I waited too long. Nice pistol.

Nice pistol priced very very fairly.

+ Reply to Thread