Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Des Moines Iowa Area Gun Clubs

Default Des Moines Iowa Area Gun Clubs

My wife and I just moved to the Des Moines Iowa area from upstate NY. I had hoped to join the Des Moines Rifle & Revolver club in Van Meter. However the website for the club shows that they are not accepting new members at this time. Does anyone know when they may open membership again? Or recommend another rifle-pistol club in the Des Moines area?

Thanks very much,
    Dave

It's nice to be in a state where I can buy high capacity magazines for my AR15 if I wish.

Welcome to Iowa from another Dave B. I live in Waterloo, which has few options, but being in Des Moines you have more options. Here are a few options for you,

*http://www.olofsonrange.com/

*Line of Fire Map
    1673 Ne 70th Ave Ankeny, IA 50021

I'm sure others who live in that area can help with more. Again welcome to Iowa.

Dave B,
    Thanks for the information on the local clubs and the welcome to Iowa. I am very impressed so far and we are happy to be here. What a difference, I hate to describe the process to get a NYS pistol permit. The pistol permit process in Iowa was so easy by comparison, and Iowa does not even care about or keep a list what pistols I own!
    Dave B.

Welcome to the Hawkeye state! We are near Washington in SE IA. Do not belong to any clubs, but usually shoot at a county range ( or in the back yard ). Yep, for as liberal as this state is, our gun laws are pretty loose.

Ed

Dave B. -- Where in WNY did you live? I am near the Buffalo Airport.

Welcome to Iowa. 30 mi or so north is the Izaak Walton league of Ames. We have a 50, 100, 200 yd rifle range; a 25' to 50yd (5 distances total) pistol range; a 50' indoor range; a trap range and skeet range; a distance marked archery range and a through the woods 3-D archery range. No range officers. Also is a huge wooded park with camping, walking trails, a small lake etc. All this for $125.00/year. Come and go as you please with no added fees except maybe for special events. We host the shooting events portion of the annual Iowa Games. Great fun. Come check it out. Steve

Also Dave, don't miss the gun show this weekend at the fairgrounds. It's at the 4-H building. At least I was told it's this weekend and is scheduled as such. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by amber View Post
    Dave B. -- Where in WNY did you live? I am near the Buffalo Airport.
    We had lived a bit east of you in Livingston County, south of Rochester about 35 miles.
    Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Martin View Post
    Welcome to Iowa. 30 mi or so north is the Izaak Walton league of Ames. We have a 50, 100, 200 yd rifle range; a 25' to 50yd (5 distances total) pistol range; a 50' indoor range; a trap range and skeet range; a distance marked archery range and a through the woods 3-D archery range. No range officers. Also is a huge wooded park with camping, walking trails, a small lake etc. All this for $125.00/year. Come and go as you please with no added fees except maybe for special events. We host the shooting events portion of the annual Iowa Games. Great fun. Come check it out. Steve
    Steve, thanks very much. It sounds like a great club. I'll check it out! Also thanks for the tip on the gun show this weekend. I'll plan on attending.
    Dave B

+ Reply to Thread