Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Standard HD Military

Default High Standard HD Military

Good Morning,
    I have a made in 1947 High Standard HD that I'm looking for a extra mag. Have bought different aftermarket mags from different suppliers but none of them work properly. The gun works 100% with the factory mag that came with the gun. So far the aftermarket have been junk. They all seam to come from the same manufacture, green follower. Brownells was one of the dealers, guess I expected better quality from them. Any ideas who makes a mag for these that works reliably ?? Thanks,
    Chris

I've always had problems with the aftermarket mags for the HDs and the Springfield M2s . Never had a problem with factory mags . I don't like to spend range time loading mags , so I like to have 10-12 mags per gun. I think I may have more $$$ in the mags than in the guns.
    Chris

That's where I'm at as well. This old High Standard shoots great, and is in at least 98%. But not being able to get a working quality extra mag or two for the thing might have it end up stored in the safe. Still have the original box, papers, and reciept. ( $50, sold in 1950 ) Wish my dad had bought a few extra mags at the time he bought it new, but I bet the $50 he spent on the gun at the time might have been almost a weeks pay for him. Might have to go out and buy a new Ruger MK III to replace it just to be able to buy a mag or two extra. Guess all I can do is watch the gun shows for High Standard mags and hope what I come home with works.
    Chris

Aftermarket mags can be made to work with more than a little bit of tweaking. What I've discovered is that the usual culpret is the ears/lips are are misaligned both on a fore and aft basis and the ears are curled over the follower too much/too little.

Take the good magazine and using it as a guide bend the ears to match. I've got one magazine that I had to use a set of calipers to get it to feed about 98% of the time. I also use one of the small angled pliars to gently bend them. Bend and shoot, bend and shoot, it will probably take 2 or 3 hours to get the first one done, after that, it seems to be easier.

It's frustrating as can be, but I sure love shooting my HD.

Original HD magazines are just a bit less rare than hobby horse poop.

Good luck!

I now have 4 extra after market mags. I am able to sit here in my shop, bend a little, measure with the calipers, take it outside fire a few. Doing that for 2 days on the same mag still didn't give me a usable mag. The factory mag has a set of lips on the rear, middle and front for a total of 3 sets. All of these aftermarket mags just have 2, front and rear. I've never had a failure with the factory mag in this thing. Best try with the aftermarket has been 2 fails out of the 10. Even the button on the outside was .030 big, quick fix in the lathe. Bet you are right about one thing though, original mags anywhere won't be a common thing to find, most likely the price will reflect that as well. Next adjustment to these aftermarket mags might be to the garbage can !!
    Chris

I ran into these guys at the 2011 SHOT show: http://www.highstandard.com/ I've got a High Standard Supermatic Trophy 107 Military that my Dad bought in the early 1960s. I've got a couple of magazines and also two barrels but the weight kit for the barrels was lost. I asked these guys if their current production parts would fit the old pistols and the answer was yes. I bought a weight kit from them and they fit. You might ask them about magazines, they claim they bought all the old tooling and parts when they went into business.

The mags with green followers are for the later Hi Standards pistols and will not work in the HDs. I was lucky to have a old mag when I got my HD a 1946 model as am I.

H.D Military in original box.

Johnny,

You always have the neatest pics of the best looking guns. Are they all yours ? Or do you just find the pics and save them for reference ?

Thanks,

Emri

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    Johnny,

You always have the neatest pics of the best looking guns. Are they all yours ? Or do you just find the pics and save them for reference ?

Thanks,

Emri
    Emri,

Unless noted otherwise, all the pictures of are guns I own. The H-D in the photo was bought at an estate auction, and I really didn't notice the serial number. Later I noticed that the serial number was not a standard size H-D serial number, and it appeared to be hand stamped with large numbers. With the help of John Stimson on the High Standard forum I learned that H-D production ended in 1950 at approximately serial number 335,000. This pistol is serial number 627,315 and was built in 1956. According the High Standard records 31 H-D pistols were produced in 1956 from serial number 627,301 to 627,331. There is no record of who the pistols went to.

Last edited by Johnny P; 02-08-2012 at 08:20.

+ Reply to Thread