Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stevens Mod 620 w/ orig. Browning Barrel

Default Stevens Mod 620 w/ orig. Browning Barrel

Does anyone have information or know what the value of this model 620 might be. Barrel is stamped Stevens Browning 620 12 Gauge Proof Tested. The other side of barrel is stamped J. Stevens Arms Chicopee Falls Mass USA. Barrel is stamped full and is 32".
    End of pistol grip says SVG. End of butt plate says Stevens (spelled in an "S" shape} & SVG.
    Serial # 1 1153. It's not a Trench gun, but I'm hoping with the Browning barrel & it's fine condition it may be worth more than a standard mod. 620. Thank You for any info you can provide.
    I'm including four pics.
    Attached Images

It is not a "Browning" barrel. The Stevens is a Browning DESIGN and PATENT. That is what the markings mean.
    They are sometimes found with P proofs on the barrel and receiver, indicating that they were adopted for military use after original sale.
    These guns probably sell for $150 or so. Strictly a shooter, and probably not even that good of a shooter, all things considered. The Stevens guns were not very well finished or smooth, but for wartime use they seemed OK.

scosgt.. i understand it's a Browning Patent. I was hoping with the barrel stamped "Stevens Browning" it may be rare. Also the serial number is in the 11,000 range. I thought that may add some value. Any thoughts? Through my limited research, it seems that barrels are stamped with only "Stevens" or maybe "Stevens Savage". Are "Stevens Browning" barrels common?
    My Dad passed away two years ago.. it was his gun and Mom needs the money. I know the shooters are not worth as much as Trench
    Guns, it was just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for any replies from you or other members.....
    Again.. Thanks for any help.... Rich

It is not rare or collectible. Stevens was like the "Mossberg" of it's day. It was popular priced, and sold under many brand names, including Sears. Again, it is NOT a Browning barrel. It is a Stevens barrel. The markings refer to the Browning patent.
    Also, the condition does not appear spectacular from your photos. It shows lots of wear.
    To get a real idea of value, look on gunbroker to see what similar guns sell for.
    But don't expect a lot. There is nothing rare about that gun, and you will find that very few people collect Stevens shotguns, although there are some other Stevens products that are popular with collectors.
    I also don't see anything special about the serial range. I don't know what the SVG stands for, unless it refers to someone's initials. Since the gun is probably 70+ years old, your Dad may not have been the original owner.
    But it is in every way that I can see a "standard" Stevens.
    But don't take my word for it. Look on Gunbroker and in the Blue Book. Maybe someone pays a premium if the barrel says "Browning". Although I think I have seen many Stevens shotguns that reference "Brownings Patent" someplace on them.

To clarify one thing:
    the SVG is the logo of SAVAGE Arms, which took over Stevens in 1920. It appears on Stevens guns of the 1920's and 1930's. Not rare or special. Normal.
    Last edited by scosgt; 11-10-2011 at 10:12.

+ Reply to Thread