Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stevens Model 525 12 Gauge PumpShotgun

Default Stevens Model 525 12 Gauge PumpShotgun

I was recently given a Stevens Model 525 by my uncle. The shotgun has been in the family since the early 1900's I think. On the side of the receiver it states: J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Chicopee Falls, MA Browning Pats Feb 7, 1905 Aug 27, 1907. Serial #35432. Can someone tell me when the gun was manufactured, and more importantly someone who knows a little bit about these guns, maybe a good gunsmith in the Phoenix area? Is there a Stevens Collector's organization out there? I had the gun restored and when I got it back the gun will not cycle or open. The gunsmith who did the work had three more of the same gun that had the same issue. There is a push button on the left side of the receiver, however no matter how hard I push the button, the gun will not open. I have tried to find schematics and information, however no luck anywhere to this point.

Thanks for any help you can give me!-----Scott Lyons

Is that a varient of the Model 520? That has a side release button. You should be able to find the schematics for that easy enough (try Gun Parts Corp). I seem to recall that there can be trouble with the slide spring/plunger assembly gunking up in the 520 slide lock release system. I don't recall if the plunger won't push in because there's too much hardened gunk in the recess around the spring, or if it sticks in the "in" position; but anyway the fix was to disasemble the assy, clean/free things up and properly lube. Probably something that needs being done every 75 years or so.

Push the slide forward then try pulling it back. Your slide release may be a shell release .
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread