Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hand Guard opinions needed

Default Hand Guard opinions needed

Opinions needed?

I already replied on the other forum.

Looks like a WW2 vintage Ithaca 37 handguard that has been reblued to me. Need to see close-ups of the sides of the bayonet lug and the welds where the heatshield attaches to the lug to be sure.
    Last edited by Steve Preston; 12-22-2011 at 02:09.

I think it may have been refinished too. The weld marks on the WWII Ithaca adaptors are usually well defined.

What about those swirl marks on the face of the bayonet ring lug? I thought this area was perfectly flat on WWII Ithaca adaptors. And I don't recall that second little hole on the rear of the adaptor.

Yes, it was refinished at Ithaca. It is correct for WW2 when I got it but was parked at the time. The teardrop weld are visible when you look at it.

Well that does change everything. Ithaca has not been the SAME Ithaca that built it for many years. And WWII handguards were not parked, so it sounds like a VN era guard that was redone. Still worth something, but not the crazy numbers you had in mind.

Tony, I think it is a WW2 handguard because it has a large hole that would allign with the magazine tube like on a Wincehster Trench gun, and the extra small hole alligned with the sling swivel. This is for a centering pin to keep the swivel from moving side to side too far. The Vietnam handguards do not have either hole in the back of the bayonet lug, and are just smooth. Also I have noticed that the diameter of the sling swivel metal is noticeably thinner on a WW2 vintage handguard, compared to a Vietnam vintage swivel.

Hi Tony, here's my opinion for what it's worth. You have a very scarce WW II Ithaca Handguard that has been reblued. I can't imagine there are many around loose. Your guard appears to be finished very closely to the commercial blue that Ithaca used in WW II. I would bet that todays Ithaca Gun Company would attempt to replicate the blue finish of the model 37 as close as they could or for that matter to duplicate it. I think that is their goal and I would bet they have the original process. I have seen very distinct rivet welds to not so distinct rivet welds on original WW II Ithaca handguards. They have ranged from teardrop shaped to oval shaped. The extra small hole in the back of the lug was only done in WW II production as far as I know and have seen. I have never
    observed a Vietnam production trenchgun with that hole in the back of the handguard lug. I'm sure that the second time around Ithaca's production realized it was unnessecary. As far as the swirls on the front of the stud, I have seen the WW II guards with the face machined more and others left as distinct as it is on your guard. I think refinished or not you have a great find. If I needed one i'd pay or trade for it as i'm sure another loose guard would be a long time coming. Nice Find!

+ Reply to Thread