Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What not to buy with link.

Default What not to buy with link.

Here is a perfect example of somethin that looks good at first, but a close examination shows a completely made up Trench Gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=267540565

The serial number is between the range of WW1 and WW2 Military shotguns. Way too early to have a "U.S." and Flaming Bomb on the left side of the receiver, in fact the first guns marked this way (in the low 900,000 serial range), only had the "U.S." with no Flaming Bomb. A close inspection would no doubt show these marks to be inscribed, rather than stamped into the metal.
    The "W.B." marked stock would also be right for an early gun in the 900,000 serial range, on a short comb stock. Not a high comb stock like this one. Nevermind that it looks like it was just put on there yesterday either.

The "CYL" marked on the barrel, next to the lined out "Full" is also very suspect and in much larger letters than the military used.

The handguard appears to be a repro also, as evident by the flat sides at the rear of the heatshield, and rough look at he bayonet lug.

The whole gun has been reblued to hide the suspect military stampings, but it does look very shiny!

The final detail for me is the lengthy disclaimer at the end of the description, stating:

"This is sold as is, so if you doubt the originality of the item, please do not bid. We are not making any claims as to its history/originality, because we just don't know enough about this item."

I suppose it really could be true that they don't know about it's authenticity, but they sure went out of their way to make sure it was clear. At least they are not claiming it is a "Military" shotgun.

I hope no one on this forum winds up with it thinking it is something it is not.

Steve

That crossed cannon cartouche looks quite odd too...?

Quote Originally Posted by westgard View Post
    That crossed cannon cartouche looks quite odd too...?
    the fake cartouche on the stock, is easily one of the very worst I've ever seen... shotgun has been reblued by a decent gunsmith, but I'd run from this one, very very quickly.......
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Wouldn't be a bad buy at $750 to $900 but not what he's asking.

It is an obvious fake but someone will get taken to the cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Wouldn't be a bad buy at $750 to $900 but not what he's asking.
    buy it for a user 12 ga dove gun, for use during the very 1st week of dove seaon. The barrel has been ruined/cut, the receiver marked up with spurious stampings & so has the butt stock, it has absolutely ZERO collector value except to rob it's internal parts & the magazine tube.My limit would be $250.00 at best.........
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

the seller is not giving up to sucker someone. I see he has relisted it

Quote Originally Posted by pistolero View Post
    the seller is not giving up to sucker someone. I see he has relisted it
    It's been pulled for couple of days now, we didn't realize it was a fake(we deal in modern suppressors/paramilitary guns). Thanks to all who took the time to send emails. Our intent was never to defraud anyone(we never have, and never will)

Vito

well done OTB, a class act sir.
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

+ Reply to Thread