Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: South African .223

Default South African .223

BONUS! Looking through the ammo stash, I found a quantity of this .223 ammo. I had marked it South African, but I am stumped as to when I got it or where. The boxes contain 30 rounds each and are marked as pictured. I'm thinking I got this ammo in the mid 90's sometime and just put it away. Anyone seen this before? Have any further info about it? Thanks in advance.

The South African ammo was manufactured by Pretoria Metal Pressings (PMP). The 5.56 and 7.62 was typical service ball ammunition but it was Berdan primed.

http://www.pmp.co.za/index.php?page=smallarms2

Thanks for that gwp. They don't list M1A4 Ball any more, but I'm assuming it's probably a 55gr bullet as that used to be standard for military ammo. I guess the 96 on the boxes is probably the date of manufacture. I thought it was a 98 headstamp, but I guess that could be 96 too, I can't really make it out. I'll try some of it out, and hang onto most of it for "just in case" since it's not reloadable brass.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 01-03-2012 at 06:20. Reason: correction

Sold by Classic Arms in NC some years ago. I got several battle packs as it was 13 cents a round and it shot very well. Wish I still had some.

I still have some in my stash that I've been saving. As my brass wears out I replace failed cases with it.

Pretoria, South Africa and Vernon, BC, Canada

As a long time user of South African PMP ammunition - both on the target Bisley range as well as in hunting everything from eland to springbok I can attest to the quality, consistency and accuracy of it. The earlier PMP soft nose bullets have had a slightly too thin jacket for us meat hunters and above 2 400 ft/sec impact velocity mushroomed too much and cause unnecessary meat damage.

Their "Pro-amm" series must be the most accurate hunting ammunition commercially available, and with excellent bullets. I believe their .222 Rem and .308W share the world record for grouping at 100 yds. (the .222 was shot by a schoolboy of 16 years old, - shows you what good eyes do!)

Although it is Berdan primers on your ammunition they are non-corrosive. Indeed 55 gr, as you have assumed.
    One day I'll own a Remington Model 8 / 81 in .35 Rem AND a Browning lever in Krag 30-40 AND an older Marlin in 45-70 AND a 1903 in whatever..

I shot a bunch of this ammo back about 10 years ago. I remember 2700 rd tubs of this stuff going for about 280 delivered. That was the good old days. The ammo I shot up though had a dull green rubberized package that held the ammo, not a clear one in the picture.

This was hot M193 ammo and very good quality. I traded the last of the stuff I had for 308 ammo when I bought my M1a in about 2004. I would use this ammo as SHTF ammo. I wish I would have kept a tub of it.

I've bought quantities of PMP ammo in 5.56 caliber over the years and everything I've come across was boxer primed. Has anyone else seen this?

I bought 10,000+ rounds of that ammo back in the mid to late 90's and traded 7000 rounds of it for 14,000+ rounds of LC 72 .30 carbine. I just shot the last of the 3000 rounds I kept about a month ago. It was all berdan primed accurate and clean.

I have shot at least 10,000 rounds of SA 7.62 NATO in a Garand and in a SA, Inc. M1A. It is hot, fast, clean and ACCURATE...

John
    "Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

+ Reply to Thread