Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with "Pulled down bullets"

Default Whats up with "Pulled down bullets"

I realize that they are disassembled components. Why are they taken apart? Is it really worth an armory like LC's time to break this stuff down and collect the components?

No expert here.....
    I think the ammo gets sold in tact with the proviso that it is torn down.
    It is a de-mil process.
    The limp wristed panty waisted fools that have way too much influence in our lives insist on such foolishness....don't want to sell EVIL ammo to civilians.
    We are fortunate that the components are available.
    I think the only part lost in the process is the primer.
    Of course, I believe the cost is higher having to buy all the components seperately. Quien sabe?

Lake City usually does not de-mil ammunition. They sell any overruns and rejected lots that still meet all safety standards. You can recognize them by the SMQ, PD, and XM lot numbers. The components that you see were broken down by private sources, for various reasons. As Mickey said, sometimes you can make more $$ selling individual components than you can selling loaded ammo.

I have a an internet acquaintance who is in the business of breaking down ammo. He says some is from captured stockpiles of tremendous quantities that the US doesn't want to use as they don't know the history of it, how it has been stored, etc. I believe he says the people who are in the business of breaking it down bid on lots of it. I don't think it is broken down by ammo manufacturers.

I have some M118LR 7.62 mm (.308) which is long range sniper ammo from Lake City
    that's marked on the boxes "PD". It's less than half the cost of the #1 stuff but still is
    extremely accurate. Supposedly, these are rejected lots that for some minor reason did
    not meet mil-spec but are safe to fire. For the sniper rounds, they are hand inspected
    I've been told. The cases do not have a high polish for whatever reason but no problem
    to shoot.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Josephic; 01-08-2012 at 08:18.

I believe Talon is one of the larger ammo disassemblers. I wish it were all sold assembled as collector ammo like the CMP did the older lots of M2.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Some of theammo is unsafe or suspect. If you break it down you can recover the components.

At some time in the past loaded US ammo was sold to civilians. I think it was clinto administration that stopped it.

"PD" in the lot code means bulk packaging. The ammunition is most likely from overruns or rejects for such things as blemishes. You may find a mixture of headstamps in a single carton but the ammunition is the same quality as the regular packaging.

I believe Talon is no longer in business. They used to buy the overruns and rejects, pull the bullets and reload them. Lake City now sells the complete cartridges directly to wholesalers and retailers.

I don't think LC sells any unsafe ammunition.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 01-09-2012 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    At some time in the past loaded US ammo was sold to civilians. I think it was clinto administration that stopped it.
    That was in the back of my mind too but I wasn't certain. Something tells me that happened after his plan to destroy all the surplus arms was halted.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Never quite as old as the other old farts

Obama. A lifetime of affirmative action gone wrong.

+ Reply to Thread