Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: latest Winchester 17 barrel

Default Barrels

Once in a while I stumble across Johnson 1917 replacements. Don't have any at the moment, but you might check with Chuck if you're looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Once in a while I stumble across Johnson 1917 replacements. Don't have any at the moment, but you might check with Chuck if you're looking.
    I asked him on another site he is out of non-take offs. if you get one please run it by me!!
    Enfield-rifles.com
    The site for everything Lee-Enfield

I have a NIW, 5 groove, 3-19 Winchester barrel and the shipping box it came in. Box is pretty rough but it still shows where Edward Pauls picked it up at a Railway Express Agency and it shows it was shipped by the Commanding Officer at Rock Island Arsenal about 10 of 1945. I intend on making one last attempt to build a good shooting 1917 with it.
    Last edited by Sako; 04-23-2012 at 10:57.

I intend on making one last attempt to build a good shooting 1917 with it.
    I have never owned one that shot bad.

Saw a new out of wrap JA barrel at a show last weekend but I though $275 was a bit steep. Same seller had a blued "R" marked barrel for $375.

I have a 3-19 Winchester barrel - on an obviously Post WWI rebuild early Eddystone (15xxx) which also has a replacement Winchester Bolt. It would make sense that the earlier guns, used their whole life with corrosive ammo, might need a new barrel sooner. I'm sure the Army recognized that a lot of returning rifles would need a new tube, and let Winchester make up the needed spares, so they could be rebuilt before storage. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rammel View Post
    I have never owned one that shot bad.
    Doug, what kind of 200yd group can you achieve with yours? It might be me that isn't a good shooter.

"...a new out of wrap JA barrel at a show last weekend but I though $275 was a bit steep...."
    Wow! I must be getting old. When I rebuilt one in the late 80's I used a new JA that cost ~$35 if memory sold. Of course at that time I also found a NOS stock for about the same price.

Sako

Doug, what kind of 200yd group can you achieve with yours? It might be me that isn't a good shooter.
    200 yards for me is a metal gong when my son-in-law invites me to his club. 100 yards is 4 MOA. My best shooting one is an Eddy P-14. I just love these "American Enfields"

+ Reply to Thread