Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 30 carb with Lyman 115 cast gas check bullet

Default Reloading 30 carb with Lyman 115 cast gas check bullet

Wonder if anyone has given the lyman 115 pointed gas check bullet a try??
    ( Lyman 311359BV ) Got a mold, thinking about a short production run to give them a try. Pointed bullet looks like it might slip through the air a little better than a round nose. Have plenty of 2400 powder to start with, might try others if given a reason to. Any suggestions welcome, thank you
    Chris

I have shot thousands of them they would punch holes through old farm equipment and they feed great. I used to buy a 500 rnd. quart pant can full for 17.00

Thanks Johnny, feeds well is good. Not sure I need to use it for AP ammo, but I do hard casting most of the time. Do you remember what powder and charge you used ?? Last aspect is the gas check, did you use one or go without ?? Thinking my first try will be with a gas check, might try without if others have had success with not using them. Want to press right up to a GI spec if possible. Thanks,
    Chris

I always gas check them. IIRC, I use 12 gr. of 2400.

I used 2400 they came with gas checks but I did load some round nose 115 gr. w/o gas checks The gas checks are worth the trouble. I don't remember how many gr of 2400 I used a Lyman loading manual at the time. I think I loaded 14 gr. 2400 for 110 gr FMJ Sierra.

35 years ago my cousin and I shot the daylights out of his dad's carbines using only cast bullets. We would spend a day casting, a day reloading and then a day shooting. I wish I had those guns now....

Chris,
    I shot quite a few of those Lyman bullets years ago and had good luck with them feeding. As I remember, I had to fiddle with the OAL a little bit at first. You said that you hard cast, I seem to remember I had an issue with sizing them and ending up with case deformation. I had to size them down a little. Also if you are going to run them at GI specs then I would highly recommend you use gas-checks. That is unless you enjoy scraping out lead from your bore.
    HTH
    Dave

Thanks Dave,
    Reason for the GI spec speed is I understand that the carbine is a little fussy, operates best at full pressure for best cycle. Reliable feeding, cycleing, and some good groups is what I'm after. FPS of the load doesn't matter past that. Last thing I want is a unsafe load or leading. Weather gets a little warmer out here, will fire up the lead pot again and start casting these. I need to buy 2 fresh main springs before testing starts. Looks like both of my carbines have tired main springs. Will get a couple next gun show and be ready to test these loads.
    Chris

I think you will find that any load listed in a cast bullet manual for that bullet (I prefer the Lyman manuals for cast loads) from starting loads to max loads will run you carbine just fine. Yes, they are a little fussy but if everything is in PROPER working order and oiled properly on your M1, it should shoot the spectrum of cast loads in the manuals reliably. OAL and CL in the carbine are VERY important to reliably. Almost more important than all else. If you are still going to push them hard then you might think about H110 for a powder. It's the old standby powder for the carbine. It's a little slower burning than 2400 so your pressure peak isn't as drastic a spike which is good for almost any gas gun. But both powders are normal use powders for the M1 though.
    Good luck and good shooting,
    Dave

The reason I picked 2400 is I have a old unopened 5 lb can of the stuff on the shelf. If it smells and looks OK after opening the can, 30 carb. would be a good way to use it up. At 12gr. loads though, that can will go almost 2900 rounds until gone.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread