Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is Blanket Procurement ?

Default What is Blanket Procurement ?

In relation to the Military Shotgun and what it means, could anyone shed some light on it to me? I'm new to collecting the Military Shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by SMGTPA67 View Post
    In relation to the Military Shotgun and what it means, could anyone shed some light on it to me? I'm new to collecting the Military Shotgun.
    I believe it's a government buying process which sidesteps the more formal requirement to issue rigid specs and get bids. Basically it allows an authorized government agency to spend up to "X" amount for certain specified goods from authorized vendors without going through the formal bidding process. At the beginning of WWII the military was authorized to buy commercial small arms suitable for several purposes, including training, recreational and defensive on a "blanket" format. That's why you'll find double barrel shotguns with the U.S. stamp on them. Blanket Procurement buying is still done today.

thank you

Sheesh, don't answer if you don't KNOW.
    At the beginning of WWII there was a shortage of arms for use in training, combat, and security for defense plants. The Government bought up literally every shotgun it could find from dealers, distributors and even private people. There was a memo (I have a copy) which basically said:
    "Buy every 12 Ga shotgun you can get your hands on at the following price".
    THAT was the blanket procurement program. It mostly applied to repeating shotguns, but some single barrel and doubles were bought as well.
    The long barrel guns were used for gunnery training and guard duty, the short barrel guns sometimes found their way into combat. They sometimes have US marks, sometimes not. The markings on blanket procurement guns are not generally the same as those found on contract made guns, which were more standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    Sheesh, don't answer if you don't KNOW.
    At the beginning of WWII there was a shortage of arms for use in training, combat, and security for defense plants. The Government bought up literally every shotgun it could find from dealers, distributors and even private people. There was a memo (I have a copy) which basically said:
    "Buy every 12 Ga shotgun you can get your hands on at the following price".
    THAT was the blanket procurement program. It mostly applied to repeating shotguns, but some single barrel and doubles were bought as well.
    The long barrel guns were used for gunnery training and guard duty, the short barrel guns sometimes found their way into combat. They sometimes have US marks, sometimes not. The markings on blanket procurement guns are not generally the same as those found on contract made guns, which were more standardized.
    that shedd a lot of light. thanks

"Blanket Procurement" is what a lot of unscrupulous dealers use as a way of selling less than original or correct wares to the unsuspecting. "Oh yeah, those markings are different that what you see in Canfield's book, but that shotgun was accepted under the blanket procurement program".

Other than that, what scosgt sez.
    Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 01-23-2012 at 03:18.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Totally correct MISTER Speedgunner

Bruce...so formal, please it really isn't necessary.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

You have me at a disadvantage, who are you?

KCW's statement is also true though..............
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

+ Reply to Thread