Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to me riot gun - Stevens 520-30

Default New to me riot gun - Stevens 520-30

Picked this up at an estate sale. I've been doing online research online but really haven't come up with much other than it was designed by John Moses Browning. Serial is 49XXX. Anybody have any info?

Last edited by Blockhead; 01-24-2012 at 07:55.

It's a US Military contract riot gun made during WW2. The forearm wood doesn't look original. It should be checkered or plain. The buttstocks were numbered to these guns, but you have to remove it to see the number. The barrels are also serial numbered to the gun. The number is located in the action bar slot on the barrel head. You will have to break down the gun to see it.

+1 on the forearm. I suggest not shooting it if it is not matching. There is a reason the barrel and receiver were numbered to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    +1 on the forearm. I suggest not shooting it if it is not matching. There is a reason the barrel and receiver were numbered to each other.
    And what is the reason?

Headspace.
    Chris

Nice find. Good lookin' ol' scattergun.

Ed

I checked the barrel and it's serial number matches the receiver. The stock, however doesn't seem to have any serial number. I removed it from the receiver, and didn't see anything in the area where it connects. Would there be anything under the buttplate?

The stocks were numbered on one of the small flat areas on the end that meets up with the receiver. It maybe a replacement buttstock. From the photos, it does look to be in better condition than the gun metal.

The buttplate is stamped "Waseca Herter's Minn."

I have one which I purchased in Amityville NY when I realized it fit into a GI Issue Large Rucksack when broken down. Real craftsmanship too bad it isnt made today. Took me 9 years to find the correct heatshield for it that someone removed. My Forend is slick plain no grooves or checkering, same for the stock.

Ser#: 4903X US and Ordnance bomb same spots

+ Reply to Thread