Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1903A3 bolt

Default 1903A3 bolt

Don't know much about the 03 series of rifles, but I'm looking at a 03A3, the bolt has no markings anywhere. Is this a Sportsman Guide type bolt for want of a better phrase?
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

I am not aware of any aftermarket bolts for an 03 or A3. The markings are found on at least one of the following places..the top and/or bottom of the bolt handle root, and/or on the safety lug. Some of the marks are very lightly struck and can be worn off with use (especially the safety lug). Many many many bolts were modifed to make a sporting rifles and the markings were removed or obliterated in the process.

Other folks here might (do) have more insight. Hope this helps.

I'm not certain what you mean by a "Sportsman Guide type bolt". Is it an 03 bolt or an 03A3 bolt? On another current thread, Rick the Librarian states that some of the early Smith-Corona 1903A3 bolts were unmarked.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 02-14-2012 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    I'm not certain what you mean by a "Sportsman Guide type bolt". Is it an 03 bolt or an 03A3 bolt? On another current thread, Rick the Librarian states that some of the early Smith-Corona 1903A3 bolts were unmarked.
    From what I read of the reviews on the SG bolts they were NOS Remington complete bolts. Buyers seemed to be very happy with them.

If they were the ones I remember, they weren't NOS but were overhauls. A Remington would have an R on the underside of the bolt handle. If they had no markings on the top (and, of course, had a "bent" handle) they were Smith Corona bolt bodies.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    If they were the ones I remember, they weren't NOS but were overhauls. A Remington would have an R on the underside of the bolt handle. If they had no markings on the top (and, of course, had a "bent" handle) they were Smith Corona bolt bodies.
    I just reviewed the ad. says Condition: Brand new, never issued. Now whether that was actually the case I can't say, but the people that bought them seemed to think that what they got was dellivered as advertised.

+ Reply to Thread