Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WW2 - Winchester Model 12/97 Heat Shield Bayonet Lug

Default WW2 - Winchester Model 12/97 Heat Shield Bayonet Lug

Hey Folks,

I came across this item at a great price. With my limited research using the net and Joe Poyer's shotgun book. I believe this is a March 1942 - June 1944 Winchester heat shield. All of the criteria set in Poyer's book from the Standard 20 threaded fillister screws to the measurements, fits the description of the 4x19 blued, unmarked "W" version for the M97 & M12 trench shotguns. I just wanted some expert eyes to tell me if I am correct in my assumption. I hope the images are good enough.

My questions:

Is it original?

Also, it looks like it is in great condition, the finish is that blued glossy worn look. From some wear marks on the front of the barrel end and dings it appears to have been used. What condition would this be considered?

What is the actual value?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SCRELICHUNTER; 02-28-2012 at 02:59.

It looks like the heat shield may have been replaced. Hard to tell, it was done by ordinance as well as Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRELICHUNTER View Post
    Hey Folks,

I came across this item at a great price. With my limited research using the net and Joe Poyer's shotgun book. I believe this is a March 1942 - June 1944 Winchester heat shield. All of the criteria set in Poyer's book from the Standard 20 threaded fillister screws to the measurements, fits the description of the 4x19 blued, unmarked "W" version for the M97 & M12 trench shotguns. I just wanted some expert eyes to tell me if I am correct in my assumption. I hope the images are good enough.Jeff
    I believe two of your photo's indicate it's USGI. I don't want to say which two because the repro guys always overelook the correct characteristics.

I like it.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Jeff, your heatshield is an original Winchester and would be correct for a late Model 97 or a Model 12. The buff lines on the bayonet lug tell me it is an original finish piece. Value is $500 or more, depending on if you need one or not. I would love to have a couple laying on the shelf for future projects, and wouldn't be afraid to pay that for one.

Nice find!

Well I just happen to have a spare "W" marked bayonet adapter. Mostly patina finish. Otherwise excellent condition. And I am your neighbor.
    The screws definetly are not standard 20 tpi. They are an obsolete pitch and are available from the seller of the reproduction adapters. About $10 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Preston View Post
    Jeff, your heatshield is an original Winchester and would be correct for a late Model 97 or a Model 12. The buff lines on the bayonet lug tell me it is an original finish piece. Value is $500 or more, depending on if you need one or not. I would love to have a couple laying on the shelf for future projects, and wouldn't be afraid to pay that for one.

Nice find!
    Hey Steve, Thanks for the information! If I decide to sell this item, I will be intouch. Sorry for the length of time between post. Have a good day! Thanks again! Jeff

+ Reply to Thread