Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bayonet on M1 Carbine

Default Bayonet on M1 Carbine

In various photos of the M1 Carbine I have seen just about 50/50 % of the rifle with the bayonet lug mounted. I have one of the Iver Johnson / Universal models that after have the extractor repaired really is a lot of fun to shoot. The purpose of the Carbine is a collection of different military weapons (some sort of) that I intend to give to my Grandson. In my opinion of the M1 with a bayonet lug looks somewhat ridiculous I was still going to install one on the one I have. In the opinion of members here which way would be the most realistic setup. His 12th Birthday is in June and I want to make his day. Currently I have on hand for him 1-M1 Garand Korean War Commemorative, with two different bayonets, 1911 A1 45 with duty belt, holster, canteen(1943) cleaning kits. Also have the AR-15 (M16) with Bayonet, Mosin Nagant w/bayonet. I still have to come up with a decent 1903 Springfield and Thompson 45cal combat model . What else should I look for.

FWIW I think they are more accurate without the bayonet lug.

Just so you know he cannot legally have a rifle until he is 18 and a handgun until he is 21. I know you can hang on to them and say they belong to him or you can have his father hold onto them. I'm just telling you what the law is.

P.S. do you need another grandson?

In reality the type 3 barrel band increased the accuracy of the carbine in general. There is more support of the stock/barrel then with the type one or type 2.

Few if any bayo's were on carbines during WW11, Korea was different. The carbine was originally meant to replace the .45 1911 for officers and behind the line troops. (something easier to shoot then a pistol). They became so popular for front line use that the bayo was added near end of war.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The carbine was originally meant to replace the .45 1911 for officers and behind the line troops.
    The M1 Carbine was developed to provide infantrymen whose primary duty was not that of a rifleman, ie. mortar, machinegun, bazooka, crews and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    In reality the type 3 barrel band increased the accuracy of the carbine in general. There is more support of the stock/barrel then with the type one or type 2.
    There is (or maybe was, I haven't checked in a while) a monograph on the M1 Carbine and accuracy on the CMP site. The writer agrees with you that a Type 3 barrel band does indeed usually enhance accuracy.

Yes I understand the "Law" but here in the sticks of Alabama most kids by the age of 10-12 already have a couple 22's and maybe a single shot shotgun. As for adopting another grandson heck come on in, but I'm very strict and demand respect to all elders. But on the other hand grand kids get away with murder in comparison to when my kids were little.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    Just so you know he cannot legally have a rifle until he is 18 and a handgun until he is 21. I know you can hang on to them and say they belong to him or you can have his father hold onto them. I'm just telling you what the law is.

P.S. do you need another grandson?

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Few if any bayo's were on carbines during WW11
    The January 26, 1945 issue of The Inlander (their in house employee publication) has a photo of an Inland employee holding a carbine with a Type 3 front band. The photo is not detailed enough to see if this is an M2.

Inland produced at least another 700k carbines after this photo was taken, so plenty of opportunities to use more than a few Type 3 bands. This is close to the time M2 production began in earnest and those would have had the bayo lug band.

Well you see few WW11 pic with bayo lug equiped carbines! At the beginning of 1944 all but two contractors were shut down, due to over production by the end of 1943. Of any production in 1945, little of it probably actually made into combat.

+ Reply to Thread