Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand long bolt

Default M1 Garand long bolt

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum,

I have a little issue here that I hope some one can help me with.

A few years ago I accidentally reamed the chamber on a Barnett .30-06 barrel too deep to the point that the bolt will just close on a No Go gauge. I know that there are M1 bolts of different lengths. The bolt used during the reaming error is a 6528287 HRA. Is there a bolt that is longer than this one?
    Last edited by gasgunner47; 03-04-2012 at 05:36.

I believe that the -19 bolts are reputed to be a bit longer. Not certain but I believe so.

From a saved posting by Gus several years ago:

The shortest bolts tend to be the WRA's and then the SA-12's, though some very few examples of both are up to medium length.
    In order of length, SHORTEST to Longest;
    -12SA
    65-series
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Thanks for the replies. Just my luck that I headspaced the barrel using a 65 series bolt (the longest) so I guess I'm out of options. Darn. Brand new barrel and can't be used.

I guees the thing to do is to fit a barrel using a short bolt like a -12SA. Then if you screw up like I did, at least there are longer bolts that can save the job. Of course, I didn't have a front turned reamer when I fit that barrel (now I do) and I was doing final finish reaming with the barrel dismounted. New Clymer reamer was very sharp and cutting aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgunner47 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Just my luck that I headspaced the barrel using a 65 series bolt (the longest) so I guess I'm out of options. Darn. Brand new barrel and can't be used.
    For heaven's sake, you can shoot the rifle ALL YOU LIKE.

If you are SUPER-paranoid, you can stick with GI ball ammo or fresh commercial ammo (virgin brass). If you reload, you can adjust for this EASILY as well.

Without getting into another idiotic debate about headspace, your rifle just barely closes on a NO GO. Heck, you can safely shoot past FIELD REJECT if you wanted to. But since your's does not, quit worrying about it. Depending upon whether you use Clymer or Forster gauges, it might not close on the other brand.

Likewise, you would be nuts to toss this barrel. It's a DOUGLAS MATCH BARREL (Gene Barnett used Douglas blanks). Have you even thought about seeing how it will shoot?

Heck, on second thought, ignore what I said, I would be GLAD to take that "dangerous" barrel off your hands and properly "dispose" of it. I will even pay your mailing costs (lol).
    Last edited by musculus; 03-05-2012 at 04:15.

Yeah, I know I have that option. Just kinda disappoints me that I would have to settle on less than optimum headspace. Nope, it's not going to be tossed. I've had it sitting on the shelf for the last 5 or 6 years.

I'm sure there are a whole lot of M1's that will close on a "no-go" gauge and not on a "field reject" gauge that are still being fired. I would try a couple other bolts and then shoot it.

I'm going to. The rifle that this barrel was originall intended for has since been fit with another Barnett barrel. My brother suggested I try it on his M1 but I think the results will be the same because I've tried it on several others with the same results. On one rifle, the bolt closed on the field gage. It must have had a shorter bolt on it.

can you add a .308 insert?
    Last edited by kcr; 03-05-2012 at 11:50.

+ Reply to Thread