Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Military Type Leather Sling For A Mossberg Model-46M(b)

Default Military Type Leather Sling For A Mossberg Model-46M(b)

I'm getting ready to order some sling swivels for the Mossberg Model-46M(b) my Dad left me. I'd like to put a M-1907 "type" leather sling on it but don't know if the Mossberg sling swivels are wide enough. Does anybody have a suggestion and/or source for the type of sling I'm looking for?

If you are instaling the quik detatce Mossberg swivels, the sling will fit fine.

The M1907 sling is 1.25" wide and requires 1.25" swivels. Many commercial swivels will be 1".

You can still find USGI surplus M1907 leather slings. Some NOS, some used up, cracked and brittle.

Just checked ebay. Saw three that look like cheap reproductions and one original that is missing the short strap.

If you plan to use the sling for position shooting probably needs to be decent quality.

Here is a link to Fulton armory. They start at $30 and go to $60+.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Accessories.aspx

If you are not familar with rigging and using a M1907 sling Fulton Armory has some info. Chase the link - the FAQS contain two topics on using the M1907.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/generalinterestfaqs.aspx

I have a couple of inexpensive slings I bought and never used because they did not look like they would take a lot of use in HP shooting.

If you do not plan on doing a lot of position shooting strapped into a sling real tight, they might be fine for you.

One was from Creedmoor and the other Champions Choice.

Send me a PM if you might be interested.

Regards

Jim
    Last edited by NMC_EXP; 03-11-2012 at 06:32. Reason: add addt'l info

Quote Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
    If you are instaling the quik detatce Mossberg swivels, the sling will fit fine.
    Thanks! Yes, I will be using the correct Mossberg Swivels. Havlins has them. I've ordered a few things from them before and have been very satisfied.

Thank You! Actually I already have a nice M-1907 made by MRT that I bought new a few years back and had on a M1A. I might pick up a few more later though as I reestablish my collection. Had to sell all most everything last year due to medical bills.

Quote Originally Posted by primuspilum762 View Post
    Thank You! Actually I already have a nice M-1907 made by MRT that I bought new a few years back and had on a M1A. I might pick up a few more later though as I reestablish my collection. Had to sell all most everything last year due to medical bills.
    Just an FYI: MRT = "Mildew Resistant Treatment". The last GI M1907 slings (late 70's?) were treated with MRT and so marked.

Up thru WW2 the slings were stamped with the makers name and year but not MRT.

There are some cheap aftermarket copies of the GI M1907 around so buyer beware.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
    Just an FYI: MRT = "Mildew Resistant Treatment". The last GI M1907 slings (late 70's?) were treated with MRT and so marked.

Up thru WW2 the slings were stamped with the makers name and year but not MRT.

There are some cheap aftermarket copies of the GI M1907 around so buyer beware.

Regards

Jim
    Good info to know. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread