Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: SARCO BM59 Type E Garand kit comes to life

Default SARCO BM59 Type E Garand kit comes to life

SARCO BM59 Type E Garand kit comes to life

I bought this from a fellow on the FAL Files who had commissioned this build from at CMP Armory ( http://www.cmparmory.com/ ) and was looking to sell. It was built with USGI Garand receiver and one of the Kits Sarco is advertising as a BM 59 kit. Their ad states that it is complete minus receiver and they offer drawings to describe the receiver modifications. The Sarco kits have all the look of being from the BM 59 E. That is to say they were scrapped from surplus USGI Garands modified to select fire and to use BM 59 magazines. The gas system is unchanged from the Garand. The Overall length is a half inch shorter owing to the caliber conversion to 7.62 NATO by chopping off the breach and reaming a new chamber. Consequently the stock, rear handguard, barrel and op rod have to be a half inch shorter too.

I have seen this ad in there for years and had never seen or heard of anyone who had done the conversion until now. James at CMP Armory said he has done a few. I remember reading here and there that some of these parts may be left over from old projects by Fed Ord/Sante Fe and Golden State. Other posters mentioned that these kits come from Type E conversions done by Beretta for the Argentine navy. I'm not sure what parts of that jazz are true or not. What is true is that these are very cool rifles.

I have had a chance to run about 200 rounds through this rifle it and I have to say it runs great and is my current favorite to shoot. The barrel that came with this kit gauges 1 at the muzzle 3 at the throat. It shoots 1 MOA with no problem. The BM59 bolt that came with it did not headspace so this is running with a PB Garand bolt. It takes a little nudge to drop the bolt on the first round but feeds and cycles fine under power. This is probably due to the Garand bolt in it instead of a BM59 modded one.

Here you can see the biggest changes in the modifications to the Garand receiver. In this case the receiver legs have been drastically reshaped not only on the inside to allow the mag to pass but in profile too, to lock into the stock as that relationship is changed from the Garands.

Cont...

Here are some shots showing the differences in the inside of the stock.

Here compared to a USGI postwar birch

The receiver has been modified to have the BM59 bolt catch hold the bolt back after the last round is fired.

The barrels are similar to but not identical to the Italian 7.62 conversions that Sarco also sells in that they are one half inch shorter than a 30-06 barrel. The difference I see is that the Type E/BM 59 barrels have some contour added in the form of a ramp to ease the op rod along the barrel shoulder. The op rod in the type E kit is the same length as the Italian 7.62 conversion op rod. I tested and they are in fact interchangeable.

Anyone know what make of barrel this is??

The brake was missing when I got the rifle but I found one recently at a local show near Chicago. It has 8 ports on the left and 16 ports on the right. I presume this was to control muzzle rise to the right in auto fire. The stubby little break works very well in semi auto and there is very little muzzle rise at all.

Thanks to KOAM on the FAL Files for making this available for me.

JR

Default count the lands & grooves in your barrel

if it is 2 groove, get another barrel quickly. Seriously.

My brother in law has an orig Springfield Armory Inc imported BM59 that he is both very happy & proud of, I suspect it is worth over $2k at a minimum.

nice looking rifle, good luck on it, have never heard of your gunsmith before.

da gimp

It’s not a two groove splice conversion. These barrels were 30-06 USGI (and others)converted en masse by the Italians to 7.62. Apparently for customers who had less to spend and might have had M1’s as a result of US aid programs during the cold war.

JR

The movie RUMOR OF WAR was made before M-1A's were generally available. To tell Phil Caputo's tale of the early Marine Expeditionary Force in Vietnam the movie made use of several different variants of BM-59, including some with the full M-1 front handguard like this one. It's one of my favorite movies..."The bronze gods are off to war!"

I didn't know there was a movie of "Rumor of War". I once read the book and did a book review for a college class.

That BM-59.....

Looks like a lot of work to me to have the equivalent of a M1-A.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

Nice detailed pictures. The brake looks like it is from Smith Enterprises.
    I seem to remember that GPC had shortned stocks on their website.????
    Visit the M1 Collectors Club website.
    www.m1collectorsclub.com
    A CMP Affiliated Club

Default M1 conversions

I built this early M1 rifle conversion before there were Beretta muzzle brakes available. My own muzzle brake worked out (along with the gas cylinder group that I made-up). To complete the conversion, an M60 bipod was installed. The Beretta is one of the best muzzle brakes around.

+ Reply to Thread