Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Discharge Question for the Marines

Default Discharge Question for the Marines

I think the Marines and Army deal with this similarly, but you never know. The Army doesn't send you a discharge certificate until your entire obligation is done. Do the Marines do it the same way? (someone enlists for 4 years of active duty doesn't get the certificate until the 2 years of IRR is done- a 6 year obligation.) I saw a Marine discharge certificate that lists the date of discharge as 1974 and I'm wondering if that would mean that the gentleman began his service 1968 or if it means he started in 1970. Thanks in advance for the help.

I enlisted in the Corps at 17 while still in High School. The time I spent in the delayed entry program was counted towards my total obligation and was as a reservist. I was discharged from from the reserves to take a position in the active duty Marines on the day I left for boot camp no DD 214 was issued just paper saying I was discharged.. 5 years later I EAS'd and was given a pink reserve ID card and DD 214 for my active service. My Honorable discharge certificate is dated the same day as my reserve ID expired. No DD 214 for the IRR time as I was not an active reservist. Back in the 60's early 70's there was no reserve obligation so if you enlisted for 4 years active that was it. Later it became a 6 year than an 8 year obligation. Hope this helps. My time in ran from September 1987 to September 1995 total time 8 years. Active 1988- 1993 5 years.
    Mack
    hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

Default My last USMC Check

My HD was mailed to me in 1975, and I joined in Dec 1969.

For those who claim the Navy pays the Marine Corps personnel, I have attached my last USMC check (a very long funny story concerning amount of check). I scanned it while framed, so the quality sucks, but as anyone can see, no Navy anywhere on check. I blocked out my service number.

jt
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper; 06-17-2012 at 05:04.

Thanks, guys, that answers my question.

By the way, my original discharge was signed by Col. Sanders! Bobby R. Sanders, LTC, QM.

1968, i enlisted 5/1/68 received discharge in the mail, dated 4/30/74.........Semper Fi

My first time through, who knows, everything is gone? The second time, I enlisted in the Corps, in 1955, through a Reserve Unit, they activated me as a "Class A Reserve". On Release from Active Duty I received a DD-214 and a DD-1173 ID to allow for immediate recall (24 hour notice). At the end of my obligation in 1962, I received my Honorable Discharge. All other Reserves that were active at the same time were "Class C Reserves", except for 1 other "Class A Reserve". ???? It was in the Marine Corps Manual, but I know not what page.

The DD-1173 was the same ID Card issued to family members of Active Duty Marines.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

Everybody had a 6 year obligation.

Now nobody has and only about 1% bother.

Leaves 99% freeloaders.

"Back in the 60's early 70's there was no reserve obligation so if you enlisted for 4 years active that was it." Don't believe it was this way, Joined USMC for two years in Feb 68, inactive reserve time was not up till 1974

Joined in 1969, served 2 years active duty, 1 year in that wonderful south sea paradise RVN, went home, got separated, later got a notice to report to summer camp, and I threw it in the trash in the post office. Got a phone call one day, from a nice lady, who wanted to know why I didn't report to summer camp. I told her I was still physically healing, and if they wanted me to go to summer camp, they had better send three really big dudes, one to carry my seabag, and two to carry me. She laughed. I never heard from anyone after that. Got my HD in 1975 in the mail.

No regrets.

jt

Obligation in 60s was 6 years. Last 2 was inactive.
    Don't know what active requirements were.
    I served 4 years active 66-70, and got discharged to inactive reserves.
    2 years later I got my actual discharge."'

+ Reply to Thread