Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last US lead smelter closing

Default Last US lead smelter closing

There was a back page story about the last US lead smelter in the US closing at the end of this year. Too much OSHA and EPA regulation to make a profit. I'm stocking up on lead bullets. Soom we will have to buy our bullets from the chicoms. What a revolting thought!

It`s really sad what OSHA & the EPA are doing to some of the industries in this country. Back in 1991 I went to work for a trucking co that delivered casting sand to at least 7 iron & alum smeltering plants in a couple of New England states. By the year 2000, they were all shut down or went out of business because of the EPA & OSHA.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Soom we will have to buy our bullets from the chicoms. What a revolting thought!
    Not to worry, Chicoms already supply plenty of lead in the childrens toys they export to us.
    Last edited by Rock; 07-02-2012 at 08:31.

Politicians bitch about 'imported oil'. They say nothing about 'imported rare earth metals'. Guess lead is another thing will be dependent upon from foreign countries. Of course the tree-huggers will be proud that our military is "using GREEN bullets".
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

The Doe Run smelter/mine here in Missouri announced this a year ago, I was at a range near by soon afterwards where some of Sierra's employees where shooting & told them they had better contract for all the production from them that they could get.

It is not the current mining & smelting techniques that got the Doe Run Co. into trouble with the EPA & Mo.DNR, but the practices of the last 100 years that heavily contaminated the landscape & water for miles around.............
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

In the past I've done a lot of work at lead smelters and mines. Sad to see another industry, loss of good paying jobs closing down.

In recent years the EPA has grown stronger and more reckless with enforcement. Instead of trying to help bussiness and manufacturing, their goal is to generate enough revenue so as to pay for their agency and for bonus checks. It's honestly simple, destroy America! That what their goal is, kill us economically and then the euro/Obama system can be implimented.

On the lead issue, the governments goal is to stop sportsman from using lead for any sport and shut down target ranges under EPA guide lines. The only way to stop this from happening is to get the vote out and elect like minded people. O must be defeated in November, it's that simple.

We need the Dept. of Energy, Education, EPA, TSA, Homeland Security and the other useless agencies defunded and dissolved before they completely destroy our country. We need agencies that help us, instead of trampling on our rights and treating us like little children.

One other point, stop giving our money to foreign countries, stop helping communist China and start worrying about America. I feel our Congress is more friendly to others than the people who elected these misfits into office. In fact, I believe our Congress is out of touch to the point that they should be tried for treason, at least 95% of them! Today, I am embarrassed and dissapointed at the leadership and see we need big changes. Just remember to help get the vote out this November.

Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Matt, I worked on HazMat crews since 1986, when I retired I had more hours in class A suits using type C air(self contained tanks & airlines) than anyone in Mo. & Ks......It is far easier for me to list the Superfund sites that I didn't work on than the ones I did.

The US Dept of Energy was one of the depts whose projects we all liked working on, they do one helluva a job & are incredibly safety concious on their projects. For the most part EPA is very good too on the project level at least....

The main problem is that they like other Federal law enforcement agencies have been heaviliy politicised in their upper levels, those appointees do 99.9% of the damage as they push their far left agendas with the middle & lower level agents trying to contain/mitigate the damage they cause......

We do need to work very hard to elect a president whose administration is not anti-business, on that you are 100% dead on correct sir...........
    Last edited by da gimp; 07-04-2012 at 07:11. Reason: spelling
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    There was a back page story about the last US lead smelter in the US closing at the end of this year. Too much OSHA and EPA regulation to make a profit. I'm stocking up on lead bullets. Soom we will have to buy our bullets from the chicoms. What a revolting thought!
    There is a lead smelter about a two miles from my residence in Minnesota, my neighbor used to work for them and I believe he has told me there around 8 -9 smelters left in the country.

TW56

To the best of my knowledge Doe Run was the very last running lead mine & smelter operating in the USA.........if there is another even reprocessing car batteries . I do not know where it is...........
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

+ Reply to Thread