Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Gun Laws and black powder weapons

Default California Gun Laws and black powder weapons

are black powder pistols and rifles considered Firearms under California Law, if not could a black powder pistol be carried loaded in your car?

I think that anything slingshot or above is a firearm kalifornia.
    "In God We Trust"

"...could a black powder pistol be carried loaded in your car?"

PC Sec 12031 says you cannot carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle and goes on through several sections, including exceptions.....
    coming to..............

"a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder."
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Move out of there... I thought the same thing when I lived in MN before they passed "shall issue", but they had it "covered also".
    I moved to AZ to get away from all the LIBS. It's been WORTH IT.

I guess you could carry one in the vehicle loaded but not primed or capped. Or you could carry one capped and have six nitrated paper cartridges with powder and ball inside of a little match box to load quickly if needed. I use cigarett rolling papers to make cartridges out of and I can get six to neatly fit in a small wooden match box. When loaded into a cylinder and rammed in home, they usually go off immediately. Only an occasional momentary "Pop-Boom". Samual Colt suggested running a small wire up through the nipples if using paper or foil cartridges to open the way for the flash to immediately reach the powder. You could also load and cap a cylinder and have it out of the gun. Not recommended but it Was Done.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-26-2012 at 04:13.

OR maybe have multiple capped and loaded cylinders ready to swap for an empty one already in the said weapon. One pin is all it takes on a Navy Colt or Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerusp45 View Post
    I think that anything slingshot or above is a firearm kalifornia.
    Better not get caught with a soda straw and a piece of notebook paper nearby. Probably go to jail on the charge of "having in his posession spitwad material and projector for same".

"OR maybe have multiple capped and loaded cylinders ready to swap..." Why not? In reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" I learned this is what the early Texas Rangers did to effectively combat Commanches. They were each equipped with Walker Colts and 2 spare cylinders which were already loaded. Unlike the settlers and Army but like their enemy, they fought from horseback and defeated "the world's finest light cavalry" with their overwhelming firepower.

"Better not get caught with a soda straw and a piece of notebook paper nearby. Probably go to jail on the charge of "having in his possession spitwad material and projector for same". "

Don't laugh. PC12020 talks about 'blow guns'. And PC12020 is nothing but FELONIES!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sm03 View Post
    are black powder pistols and rifles considered Firearms under California Law, if not could a black powder pistol be carried loaded in your car?
    Don't push your luck. Eventually the KA libs will make it illegal to posess or display a photo of a firearm. Do yourself a big favor get the h**l out of KA, I did.

+ Reply to Thread