Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need a "manufacturers license" from ATF to make and sell gun accessories

Default Do I need a "manufacturers license" from ATF to make and sell gun accessories

that are unrelated to the firing mechanism of the firearm? If I wanted to make sights or stocks or picatinny accesories for example?

I would like to tell you no way. Just as you don't need a special license to reload ammo for resale... that is not considered to be "manufacturing." How do I know this? I asked the ATF.

In addition things like sights etc are not controlled or forbidden in any way. If you make a profit then all the taxes regulations for manufacturing widgets would apply. BUT... I would call the ATF and get it in writing
    The best thing about being a GIB (Guy In Back), when speed becomes an inperative, the GIB goes first!

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I would like to tell you no way. Just as you don't need a special license to reload ammo for resale... that is not considered to be "manufacturing." How do I know this? I asked the ATF.

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html
    Last edited by gwp; 08-22-2012 at 11:06.

accually you do need an 06 FFl to sell reloads. You don't need one to make ammo for yourselff.

There is exsize tax due if you reload and sell.
    As for making part. You may need to register with ITAR as parts are subject to their rules and fees.
    Not cheep at $1500 a year.

Reloading

of used shells or cartridges

is considered manufacturing for

purposes of excise tax. Sale of such

shells by the reloader is subject to the

excise tax. However, if the reloader

merely reloads shells belonging to a

customer and is paid for labor and materials,

the reloading service is not a taxable

sale, as long as the reloader

returns the identical shells provided by

the customer to that same customer. In

such instances the customer is the

manufacturer and would not be liable for

tax if the shells are manufactured for

personal use. If the customer sells reloaded

shells or uses them in a business,

e.g., shooting range, the customer

would be liable for the tax.

accually you do need an 06 FFl to sell reloads. You don't need one to make ammo for yourselff.
    That is a change... Back when a lot of Chicom SKS and and European Moisins were cheap and there were zero soft point hunting ammo available, I was pulling the projectiles from FMJ ammo and replacing them with SP's of the same weight. I sold them at $1 ea. at gun shows. At the time I was friends with an attorney whose wife happened to be an enforcement agent with ATF. She got me a letter stating that what I was doing was not considered "manufacturing" and was OK by the ATF. I have long since lost the letter... but I sold hundreds (if not 1,000's) of 7.62X39, 7.62X54, 7.65 Argentine, and even some 7.7 Jap.

I'd guess that merely replacing FMJ's with S.P.'s is not considered "reloading." But... I did say ask the ATF.
    Last edited by RED; 08-22-2012 at 12:22.
    The best thing about being a GIB (Guy In Back), when speed becomes an inperative, the GIB goes first!

When i retired I thought I'd reload and sell some ammo to make a few extra bucks. I called the BATF to ask if I needed a special lic. The agent said he would get the paper work out to me. I asked him the cost of the lic and he said $10 G's. Told him to save his postage.

+ Reply to Thread