Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21
1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt York's Rifle.............................

Default Sgt York's Rifle.............................

While watching the Military Channel last evenings airing of Sgt York, they specifically stated that York used a model 1917 Enfield, and that it is ON DISPLAY st Middle Tennessee State University.
    This is contrary to what I have always heard? That most feel he DID use an Enfield, but that it is not for sure, and thereby unidentified.
    If anyone knows FOR SURE, I sure would like to know?
    Also, they agree he used a 1911 Colt. I remember hearing that the serial number of the Colt is known, but has not been located? Anyone know anything about this while we're at it????
    Makes great conversation.
    Thanks,
    Brad

It is my my understanding/recollection that his rifle was stolen on his return voyage from France.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

As was reportedly also the 45 auto, which was numbered No. 254648, as from his personal diary.
    Maybe, just maybe, the rifle and pistol were reported to've been stolen so that no one would look for them so that Alvin could bring them home? Maybe he threw them overboard?

The rifle that Alvin York used in his famous exploit has been the subject of great controversy. It has been documented that his unit was issued Model 1917 rifles. On that basis, many believe that York used a Model 1917 rifle.

York's son, however, maintains that York used a Model 1903 rifle. And he explicitly states that the rifle type was the subject of specific conversation between him and his father. York's son goes on to point out that York's statue on the grounds of the Tennessee State Capitol explicity shows York holding a Model 1903 rifle (with .45 automatic strapped on his side). I have seen the statue. And it very clearly and unmistakably depicts a Model 1903 rifle. York's son maintains that York was dissatisfied with the Model 1917 rifle and somehow managed to re-acquire a Model 1903 rifle. Possible? Absolutely. Model 1903 rifles were definitely available in York's theater of operations.

York lived for many years after WWI in his home located in East Tennessee. I can promise you that his family members, many friends, and associates knew exactly what type of rifle he used. It was no secret. I am satisfied that he used a Model 1903 rifle.

But, many others are equally convinced that York used a Model 1917 rifle. I respect their belief. I make no claim to owning York's rifle nor do I have any vested interest in the rifle York used.

I have not seen any Model 1917 rifle on display at Middle Tennessee State University. I suspect that the rifle on display is a "representative example" of York's rifle and no claim is made that the rifle is York's actual rifle. But, I can check it out if desired. My son-in-law goes to school there.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

I called Middle Tennessee State University, and after a few connections, I was told the rifle on display is NOT York's. I am equally certain that York did use a Model 1917. If you read the regimental diary, there was a specific order that all soldiers would use their issued weapon - or else. Interestingly enough, York was not the best shot in the regiment. The men who were with him that day raised quite a ruckus for years claiming that York did not do everything attributed to him, and took credit for the actions of others. Who knows? I wasn't there.

jt

The men who were with Sgt York that day, didn't they reconcile later? Seems they did.

I love that movie, love the rifle controversy. When I watch that movie, I just enjoy it for the story they're telling and the way they tell it. The cast is just great, who can complain about Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan? I watched it Friday night and used it for inspiration for our local Vintage Sniper match Saturday. Got to tell you though that wetting your front sight doesn't do any good when you're using a scope!

I love the movie scenes of the pits and pit operation!! The way it used to be!! No, I am not old enough to have taken part in using paddles and "Maggie's Drawer's". Also note that the target carriers held two targets. Care to guess why? For those who have shot on Viale Range, how many full strength rifle companies (WWII) could you have firing and pulling targets? Oh, another thing, note the soldier running back to the firing line, holding what? If you said target cloth, you would be correct! How about "lick and stick" pasters that almost never seemed to stay put, especially if they were somewhat aged! Anybody ever notice the black sedan moving in the background behind the range?
    Thanks! You people have put a smile on my face this Monday.........George in NH

I AM old enough to remember two targets on the range and I have pulled those targets in the pits!, Have used the paddles, but never had the occasion to use "maggies drawers" as nobody missed the entire target I was working LOL
    Have seen them waved for other foilks while on the firing line. Not certain about lick and stick pasters but do remember the cardboard discs with wooden pegs we stuck in the bulet holes to mark the shots

Black sedan, huh? I'm jes a gonna hafta watch it one more time. Thanks for the tip as there is something new to be seen every time i play that movie.

+ Reply to Thread