Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interchangability of Stevens 520 and 620 Barrel Assemblies

Default Interchangability of Stevens 520 and 620 Barrel Assemblies

I have purchased a Stevens 520-30 riot gun. I would like to be able to turn it into a trench gun without modifying original barrel. I have access to several donor 520s and barrel assemblies at reasonable costs. I have heard that there is generally good interchangability in this series. Do any of you have experience doing this?

The military swaped out barrel assemblys all the time, as apparent by the number of 520-30 Trench and riot guns out there with mismatched serial numbered barrels. I think that when a number of shotguns were sent to the armory for cleaning or rebuilding, they were reassembled without consideration of the serial number of the barrel.

The bottom line is that it should interchange just fine, however you should have a gunsmith check the headspace to be sure. You also hurt the collector interest in it because of the mis-matched serial numbers, but if it is for you to use and display, that issue might not matter to you.

If you are searching for the correct Stevens Trench Gun heatshield for it, let me know. I have a few extras that are all original in good condition I would consider selling.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

Steve:
    Contact me with a price on the heatshields. I was looking at repros for around $175.

520 and 620 barrels wont swap without modifications and fitting..been there done that.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I have a 520 donor gun from which I can take just barrel or whole forward assembly, or a (I was told) 520 barrel. I know this will involve some smithing, but it is a project I have been wanting to do without spending $1500-$2000 on an authentic trench gun.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    520 and 620 barrels wont swap without modifications and fitting..been there done that.
    I have a full frontend assembly, but do not know if it is from a 520 or a 620. It goes about 3/4 of the way into the mortice of the 520-30 receiver then binds up. I assume I can just slowly file down the sides of the "teeth" on the barrel assembly until they are slim enough to fit all the way up. It could be even as simple as there being small burrs on the surfaces of both parts. Maybe hitting both surfaces with a brass wheel will smooth it up. Any suggestions?

Is it a commerical or Military front end you have? If Military, what's the serial number on the barrel? The number may determine whether you have a 520 or 620 front end.

The SN of the barrel is 54738 ovet a T. The letters WW(P?)T are overstruck by this number. Barrel has BROWNING PATENT, so I am thinking 520.

Yes, sounds like a 520. And it's in the high range of the WW2 riot guns and the low range of the WW2 trench guns.

Any Military marks on it?

No military marks. The barrel, magazine and forend came off a commercial 520. I am trying to fit it to my WWII era 520-30 riot gun and configure it as a trench gun, just for show and tell.

+ Reply to Thread