Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FBI stats: NO Deaths by Rifles in 13 states, 2011

Default FBI stats: NO Deaths by Rifles in 13 states, 2011

The rate of murder by all rifles, including "assault" rifles, is spectacularly low, under 400 total for 2011. 13 states had NO murders by rifle: Colorado, Connecticut (ironically), Delaware, the D of C, Hawaii, Idaho, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and West Virginia. Four States; Nebraska, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Vermont, and the U.S. Virgin Islands each had one rifle involved death in 2011.

Seventeen states had five to one rifle-involved murders in 2011.

Note that deaths by so called "assault" rifles are so few that thd FBI maintains no separate stats on them.

Someone savvy on links please post a link to this for me.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 12-22-2012 at 07:38.

I'm somewhat surprised the number was even that high. Are you sure that's the stat for "murders" by rifle and not "deaths" by rifle (which would include accidental discharges, suicides, hunting accidents, etc.)?
    We confide in our strength without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it.” -Thomas Jefferson, 1793

Those stats will mean nothing to the bite-me commision. They want the assault weapons ban and will do anything to get it passed into law.

I do know the one death in Rhode Island was with a muzzle loading rifle and was an accidental shooting by a hunter who though the person he shot was a deer. But the person who was shot was walking her dog in the woods and was not wearing hunter orange as required by law.

It is the FBI Uniform Crime Report, table 20, for 2011, which as far as I know does not include accidental deaths.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 12-22-2012 at 05:18.

+ Reply to Thread