Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reloading for the 5.56

Default Reloading for the 5.56

I have a Colt M4 Carbine (1/7 twist) and I want to start reloading a 62 gr. or 69 gr. bullet for it. I heard that H335 and H332 are good powder choices. Do anyone have any opinions/loads that they use? Thanks in advance.

My Colt 1/7 twist does ok with 62 gr ss109 bullets. It does much better with 69 gr bullets. So far I get real good groups with 2230 powder. I tries some 77 gr bullets in a 1/9 twist and the groups were pretty poor.

Those powders are really better for the lighter bullets- 52-55 etc.
    In fact Sierra doesn't even list a load with the 69's for H332. (Edition 5 4th Printing)
    If you want "ok" loads, use the "ok" 62gr bullets. The 69SMK are much better for accuracy but my 2 cents is use a powder better suited to that bullet.

SFG(A) since you have a 1/7 twist the 62,69's and 77's will be ok. Some people have no problems shooting the 77's in a 1/9 though- as joem found out.

For the 69's the following powders are good:
    Varget, 4895, R15 and W748. There are more and I'm sure others will pipe up.
    I use 4895 or R15.
    Unfortunately You've picked a VERY BAD time to try and get any relaoding components though, so good luck!

The load data in any good reloading manual should answer your question.

In my Colt HBAR and my RRA NM I use Accurate 2215 with Sierra and Nosler 69 gr match bullets. Very accurate.

Bill

I like Ramshot TAC, it meters real well, and seems to be on the shelf when other powders are gone now. I mostly shoot Sierra MKs and use 23.5gr in the 77s and 23.0 in the 80s. But if I can't find TAC, I'll use one of the others mentioned to keep shooting. It'll just be a pain working up loads for them. TAC has load data for 69gr bullets http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...dgun_rifle.pdf I got a great deal several years ago from Wideners on some Privi 69gr BTHPs that were accurate as heck, guess those days are gone now.

What are you using your M4 for? Competition or tin cans?

Varget & Win 748 for all our loads in .223 Rem, with the vast majority using Varget.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

+ Reply to Thread