Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Schultz/Hogans Heroes

Default Sgt Schultz/Hogans Heroes

I was watching an old episode of Hogans Heroes and noticed Sgt. Schultz was carrying a Krag. I wasn't able to see specifically which model, but it definately was a Krag. Has anyone else caught this?

The issue has been discussed several times, with some fanciful explanations involving Norwegian Krags, stupidity by the prop department, etc.

The truth is much simpler. The actor, John Banner, was an Austrian Jew who hated the Germans and refused to touch a German weapon, so they gave him an American Krag.

Jim

Yep - it was discussed back on the OLD Jouster!!

Have NO idea why it was selected from the prop company, where there must have been hundreds of Mausers to choose from.

Probably the best Krag - really, firearms in general - movie (pretty damn correct, too, since it was a John Milius film) was "The Wind and the Lion")

Only that the Mauser, at least in origin, was still German, which might have been a factor. Besides the show was entertainment and almost total fantasy. American and British POW's in German territory did try to escape and some succeeded, but if they left the camp to carry out sabotage and espionage operations, I have not heard of it. (Escapees who were returned did report what they saw, as did prisoners on work detail outside the camps. The information was sent to England by several methods.)

Those who have not travelled in foreign countries simply don't understand the language and customs barrier. An escapee, on the run, with counterfeit money, forged papers, and little or no knowledge of the language and customs would not stand much of a chance. Further, the Germans systematically kept POW's on minimal rations so they would be too weak to travel far if they did escape. It is amazing that any made it to Spain or Switzerland. In occupied countries, the resistance would help, but how did they know the escapee was genuine and not a Nazi plant?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim K.; 12-14-2009 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
    The issue has been discussed several times, with some fanciful explanations involving Norwegian Krags, stupidity by the prop department, etc.

The truth is much simpler. The actor, John Banner, was an Austrian Jew who hated the Germans and refused to touch a German weapon, so they gave him an American Krag.

Jim
    In the episode "Kommandant Schultz" Banner carried an MP40. So much for the "refused to touch a German Weapon" theory.

Truth is probably that the prop department just didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Yep - it was discussed back on the OLD Jouster!!

Have NO idea why it was selected from the prop company, where there must have been hundreds of Mausers to choose from.

Probably the best Krag - really, firearms in general - movie (pretty damn correct, too, since it was a John Milius film) was "The Wind and the Lion")
    Dick, I too, really enjoy the movie, "The Wind and the Lion." However, wouldn't Marines of that day have used the Lee Navy straight pull rifles, rather than Krags? Karl
    "War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."

General William Tecumseh Sherman, U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Truth is probably that the prop department just didn't care.
    THAT was never in question!!!

Banner must have either been ignorant about the origin of the MP40, or, perhaps, he was finally told just to do it or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Dick, I too, really enjoy the movie, "The Wind and the Lion." However, wouldn't Marines of that day have used the Lee Navy straight pull rifles, rather than Krags? Karl
    I think that could ALMOST be a toss-up, and given Hollywood's truly ABYSMAL firearms acumen/portrayal record, I'm inclined to give them a pass for W&L, considering that finding that many Lees, plus blank ammo, would have been a daunting task.

However, I NEVER, EVER give anyone a pass for M1892 Winchesters in the USCav! One of my pet peeves is the dreadful firearms-related accuracy of various History Channel (who tout themselves as being SO authentic, and would NEVER allow any POLITICAL incorrectness!) presentations.

No, by 1900 or so the Krag was a multi-service small arm.

[SIZE=4.... wouldn't Marines of that day have used the Lee Navy straight pull rifles, rather than Krags? Karl[/SIZE]
    Actually some Marine units got issued Krags for the China Relief Expedition. General Chaffee somehow arranged for an extra 750 rifles and 500 carbines to be shipped with the troops he requested. He got the weapons. The Marines got most of them, but some apparently were given to allied troops. I think the Japanese got some.

http://books.google.com/books?id=S8Y...age&q=&f=false

This book has some interesting Krag lore as well as unit-level views of the campaign. Something in there for everyone!

jn

+ Reply to Thread