Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Federal ammo question

Default Federal ammo question

Does any one know what powder Federal uses in its Premium Vital-Shock ammo in 7mm-08 cal. with the 140 gr. Barns Tripple Shock slug? Is it a special blend used only by them? This ammo shoots real good in my Browning and I would love to duplicate it.

BudT
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-Ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Ammunition manufacturers, due to the large volume of ammo they produce, do not use a cannister type powder like reloaders do, they use a blended Bulk powder mixed for a certain pressure-curve. Take a round from two different lot numbers of the same ammo and, even if the powder looks the same(A lot of times it doesn't) you'll notice one probably has a larger charge than the other. Also, do not try to guess what type of powder they use by how it looks, 100% of the time you'll be wrong because they, like I stated, use a Blended Bulk-powder that may look like a normal cannister type but, isn't.

If you want to match a factory load, you need a Chronograph. Simply chrono about five rounds to get a good average velocity, then use the same bullet,case and and a Cannister-type powder to reach the velocity you want.
    Last edited by Dave Waits; 07-07-2013 at 09:09.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

+ Reply to Thread