Turner Slings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Latest Law Enforcement Encroachment on Our Civil Rights!

Unorthodox weapons? There was the "Grand Panjandrum", A Big wheel that was to roll up on the beach to clear minefields. When tested, it wound up going the other way before tipping over in a rather spectacular fireworks display

It was actually supposed to breach Hitler's "Atlantic Wall"......an unsuccessful weapon for a threat that never actually existed! In engineering it's called "A complex solution searching for a problem to solve!". While rather spectacular.....the Panjandrum was a side-show even by DMWD standards, and the amount of effort expended on it was quite minimal. What they spent a rather more significant amount of time on, concurrent with Panjandrum was developing Dr. Barnes-Wallis "Dam-Busting" skip bomb......DMWD took it from an interesting "bench scale" idea to a successful and effective full-sized weapon in a matter of weeks. In point of fact, it was DMWD's Nevile Norway....the chap usually seen in the films trying (unsuccessfully!) to steer the Panjandrum across the beach, that significantly changed the design of the Barnes-Wallis skip-bomb that allowed it to become a practical weapon (the original design was round like a monstrous beach ball that couldn't have been carried in any existing aircraft.....Norway got even better results by converting it to a cylinder that tucked quite nicely in a Lanc! Oh! Norway had a rather successful post-war career....not as an engineer, but as the best-selling novelist, Nevil Shute! And before you scoff much more John..."Hedgehog" was another of DMWD's "unorthodox" weapons that went a long way to making crewing a U-Boat a less survivable job than flying a Kamikaze!

FWIW, the "rocket grapple" that the US Rangers used to scale the Pont du Hoc at Normandy was another DMWD creation!
    Last edited by John Kepler; 09-27-2013 at 07:09.

Got a smart phone? It's not called a smart phone for nothing, your speed and location is available to any govt agency. Everybody is watching and tracking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Douglass View Post
    Got a smart phone? It's not called a smart phone for nothing, your speed and location is available to any govt agency. Everybody is watching and tracking you.
    Nope! I have a "Dumb Phone"! All I want to do is make phone calls.....not play video games. I don't "do" social media, hell, I haven't sent a text message since I retired! Yeah.....I know Big Brother is watching, but I'll be damned if I'll make it easy for him!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    Nope! I have a "Dumb Phone"! All I want to do is make phone calls.....not play video games. I don't "do" social media, hell, I haven't sent a text message since I retired! Yeah.....I know Big Brother is watching, but I'll be damned if I'll make it easy for him!
    Oh, Oh..... I'm worried, I am thinking a lot like you. I too have a Cell Phone ONLY for phone calls. I don't want someone "messaging" me when I'm driving, or outside working, or shooting, or anywhere else that I'm trying to concentrate on something important. I get all my "messages" when I sit down to my computer, where I'm ready for them.

I get sooooo irked walking through Walmart or the supermarket and come up to some broad blocking the aisle while talking. And at the Frickin' doctor's office ...... someone gets a call, they can't step outside, they have to talk so loud that one can't even read a magazine. I would NEVER want to have a conversation where 10 other people can listen in.

Social media? Facebook? Never on your life. Not after our FBI man told us of a local guy raided because on FB he mentioned that he was looking for some "fertilizer". Hey, he was a FARMER.

Guess I'm just OLD fashioned.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

Your worried about your car? How about your computer? Oh, you erase your browser history? Well that doesn't affect your ISP. They know where you've been. Use a computer at work? Your boss knows where you've been. Got a nifty iPhone. They not only know where you are, they know where you've been and who you've been calling. From where and when. Next time you're out and about, let someone else drive. Then count how many 'security cameras' you can see. Then double that number just to get a SWAG. Walk past the front of a store, a camera INSIDE that store probably has you on tape.

Only way your 'privacy' won't be invaded today in one form or another is to stay in your house and live completely off the grid.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

The profound difference is Dan, that if you in your "official capacity" want to look at those records...you need a warrant, which given the current state of our legal system, isn't much of a protection.....but it's a damn-site better than nothing. THIS situation is a cop accessing personal data without even politely asking for permission, let alone obtaining a search warrant, using said questionably obtained data as evidence in court, and having it stick! That, as my Grandpa would have said, is the herring in the buttermilk!

Here is the deal for those with what you think is OLD cell phones....be sure the GPS is turned OFF. Then they are dumb phones.

Sorry Dude.....my "Dumb Phone" has absolutely NO GPS function to turn off!

The collection of the data is here to stay either as an artifact of the computer processing it or as a "feature" to "enhance" your driving experience

There may be court rulings saying a search warrant is required or someone may develop and market a "Memory Wiper" but don't get your hopes up.

As soon as push comes to shove on this issue, you can expect an "implied consent" law governing access to a car's "black box" and making any attempt to alter or erase that box's memory a crime.

Your insurance company's lawyer will still have to subpoena the data from the schmuck who T-boned you.

But John Law's going to make sure he either gets the data or your license. Or both.

Maury

+ Reply to Thread