Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Last US lead smelter to close. Rely on Chinese for lead too?

Default Last US lead smelter to close. Rely on Chinese for lead too?

Today's St Louis Post Dispatch (aka Post Disgrace) featured a story about the closing of the Doe Run lead mining and smelting operation here in Missouri. It is the last one in operation n the USA. The EPA regulations have caused it's demise. Where will all our lead come from now and will this impact the cost/availability of ammo even more negatively than it has been already?

"Where will all our lead come from now and will this impact the cost/availability of ammo even more negatively than it has been already?"

You can count on prices rising and availability dropping. That's just what the antis and tree huggers want. Even if you are casting it might be difficult to get lead.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    "Where will all our lead come from now and will this impact the cost/availability of ammo even more negatively than it has been already?"

You can count on prices rising and availability dropping. That's just what the antis and tree huggers want. Even if you are casting it might be difficult to get lead.
    Go to tire shops and buy scrap wheelweights.They usually have lots and if you pay a little more than their usual scrappie you should get all you need.Mining stop butts at ranges and reclaiming lead is yet another potential source....JUST WATCH OUT FOR TRACERS ! !

I saw an outfit mining the stop butts at Rhodesia's Central Recruit Training Depot (Lewellin Barracks) and they started smelting on site.
    NOT for long though.They lost a retort and nearly a few black workers to tracers that were fired at 100-200m and the tracer elements hadn't been burned out BAD Juju that was.

Cheers,

JR
    Last edited by John R.; 10-17-2013 at 02:11.

Well I have about 1300# of lead, clean and pure lead. Been tring to sell 1000# for along time. Wheel weights are no longer made with lead, I understand, so thats out. but scrape will be around for along time. Probably not enough for commercial supply tho!

The OP is based on a Newspaper article that is completely bogus. At last count there were 16 lead smelters still operating in the USA. These are recycling smelters (commonly called “secondary smelters”) and not refining smelters. A refining smelter turns raw ore in to pure lead, (more or less). Recyclers take used scrap auto batteries, and turns them back into a usable form that can be used for new batteries, solders, and lead shot. The plastic is also recycled and the electrolyte is turned into fertilizer.

88% of the lead used in manufacturing in the USA, is used for batteries and a relatively small amount for bullets or lead shot. If the price of shooting goes up, it is because those prices are following the prices of batteries.

Unfortunately lead mining in the U.S. is a thing of the past. Doe Run quit mining many years ago and their smelter is out of business because the ambulance chasers have sued them for things that happened before the EPA existed. In 2012 alone, Doe run paid out nearly $40 million to people living near the plant, even if they didn’t live there when the pollution occurred.

Today, our scrap batteries are being shipped to Mexico and China for recycling - those guys need jobs .

The smelters there emit 15X more pollution than here in America. The unintended consequence the Greenies ignore.
    Kids... When they are young they break your things, then they grow up and they break your heart.

When I worked in Job Service at Flat River in the early 90s people were lined up to get a job at that smelter. I got to tour it and their precautions were amazing..but like you said, the ambulance chasers saw an opportunity.
    I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it.-Mark Twain

So if obummer bans lead smelting, just WHERE are we gonna get the lead for automobile batteries?
    AND how about all those storage batteries for the solar cells he is pushing???
    Last edited by John Sukey; 10-17-2013 at 03:49.

The metal recycling yard near me will not even sell lead, that they bought as scrap, to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Christian View Post
    The metal recycling yard near me will not even sell lead, that they bought as scrap, to the public.

Mine won't sell anything.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

During the mid 1800's, civil war time, Galena, Il was one of the largest, if not the largest, area in the US that mined lead. Those mines have been closed down for ages but I understand allot of lead ore is still left. By the way 5 civil war generals came from Galena (as I remember one was Indian or part), I think this includes Grant who settled their after the war. A nice way to spend some time, altho it may be a tourist trap nowdays.
    Last edited by dave; 10-18-2013 at 07:11.

+ Reply to Thread