Dean's Gun Restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1903 with star gauged barrel?

Default Remington 1903 with star gauged barrel?

I recently purchased a 1903 Remington, serial number 3092042 and it has a star gauged RA 12-41 barrel. The serial number is also roll stamped on the top of the bolt body. The last three digits of the serial number are roll stamped on the rear face of the decocking knob, the side of the bolt sleeve and the side of the extractor. It sits in a C stock and the metal is finished as finely as any 1903 I"ve seen. Will try to post pictures if it will help. Have never heard of a NM Remington 1903, and have never seen serial numbers roll stamped on the bolt like this. Can anyone help to identify if this is a real NM or a something someone has faked? Thanks

Star gauge use ended in 1939...they switched to an Air Gauge system..
    look forward to the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by martind18 View Post
    I recently purchased a 1903 Remington, serial number 3092042 and it has a star gauged RA 12-41 barrel. The serial number is also roll stamped on the top of the bolt body. The last three digits of the serial number are roll stamped on the rear face of the decocking knob, the side of the bolt sleeve and the side of the extractor. It sits in a C stock and the metal is finished as finely as any 1903 I"ve seen. Will try to post pictures if it will help. Have never heard of a NM Remington 1903, and have never seen serial numbers roll stamped on the bolt like this. Can anyone help to identify if this is a real NM or a something someone has faked? Thanks
    I am not aware of any Remington wartime production match or target rifles.

It's possible that the rifle you have may be something put together by the military after the war. But, until documentation is found, the proposition remains without substantiation.

The rifle is more likely something put together by a private gunsmith.

Hope this helps. Pictures would be appreciated. It never hurts to look.

J.B.

I am equally skepical, along with John and Chuck. Remove the handguard -- do you see a letter and 4-5 numbers stamped on the top of the barrel about 1/3 of the way from the receiver end?

Default Pictures

Here are some pics if that might help. thanks
    Attached Images

Default More pics

Here are some more pics.
    Attached Images

in my opinion, not done by the military..likely someone with a big imagination..
    ill bet it shoots well, and leaves NS on the back of the case, every time its shot..

I'm inclined to agree with ChuckinDenver. I believe the marks on your rifle originated with a gunsmith or a previous owner. I don't believe a military armorer would stamp "N S" on the bolt face.

I further note that your rifle appears to have been arsenal overhauled, perhaps refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Default Star guaged barrel

Quote Originally Posted by martind18 View Post
    I have a friend who actually shot this type rifle at Camp Perry in 1939 in competition. I will look at the pics you provided and see aht he thinks . Then I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zubadado View Post
    I have a friend who actually shot this type rifle at Camp Perry in 1939 in competition. I will look at the pics you provided and see aht he thinks . Then I'll get back to you.
    The rifle shown was not made until late 1941, early 1942, and we were at war by then.
    That is not the first time an asterisk has been used to simulate the star gauge mark.

+ Reply to Thread