Otis Gun Care
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difference between standard and rear lug new manufacture M14 receivers?

Default Difference between standard and rear lug new manufacture M14 receivers?

I am a complete newb when it comes to M14s/M1As - can someone tell me what is the difference is between standard and rear lug new manufacture M14 receivers? I have an ART II scope with mount so I have considered building up a M14-type rifle to hang it on, but I really don't know where to start collecting info. Thanks.

Funny, I was just about to ask a similar question, just more general. What's the difference between the M14 and M1A? Is it just like the AR15 being the civilian version of the M4/M16?

Default Google is your friend...

Google m14/m1A and you will find a ton of good info including forums dedicated almost solely to that subject. www.springfield-armory.com and allso www.fulton-armory.com are valuable sources of info as is this board. Basically the M-14 was the military issued select fire weapon and the M1A is the semi auto only model.

Unless you are a competitive shooter, you won't be able to tell any difference in performance in the rear lugged receiver.

Thanks, I have no plans to be a competitive shooter, but instead just want a resonable facsimile of the M14 that I can shoot.

An M1A is an M14 Type rifle made only by Springfield Armory (Inc.) and a rear lug is an extra lug welded onto the receiver (under the receiver heel) during manufacture, meant to extend the life of the bedding of the rifle. Double lugs on a receiver also serve the same purpose of extending bedding life.

Hope that helps,

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by mjwaterma View Post
    Funny, I was just about to ask a similar question, just more general. What's the difference between the M14 and M1A? Is it just like the AR15 being the civilian version of the M4/M16?
    Last edited by Danny; 01-25-2010 at 03:19.

The reason I am looking at non-SA inc receivers is because I am leery of their cast receivers. I don't know if it will be more expensive in the long run to build one up from scratch, but it is sure easier on the pocket book in the short term.

Unfortunately, all of the makers have made both bad and good receivers. Buying from one manufacturer over another is no iron clad guarantee that you'll get a good one. A good M14 type receiver is the known good one that you have in your hand and that may be from any of the makers that have ever made them. I wish it were more simple than that, but it isn't. You do increase your odds with some makers over others, and those would probably be with Springfield Armory, Norinco/Polytech, Smith Enterprise and LRB, but of those, I've only had personal (and limited) experience with Springfield Armory and Polytech. I've had some experience with Armscorp, but they are not being produced at the moment.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
    The reason I am looking at non-SA inc receivers is because I am leery of their cast receivers. I don't know if it will be more expensive in the long run to build one up from scratch, but it is sure easier on the pocket book in the short term.
    Last edited by Danny; 01-25-2010 at 03:40.

Default M1A/M14 receivers

I have had experience with both Springfield Armory , Inc. (have two early ones) and Smith Ent. I have a friend who recently bought an LRB.

For what it's worth, my recommendations are:

LRB are hammer forged and therefore have a longer projected life. This extra life comes at a very high price, however. LRB receivers are expensive. The Chinese receivers are also hammer forged but the Chinese mixed some metric in with our inch dimensions. These problems can be fixed by competent machinists (Smith Ent. does these fixes) but again, by the time you are done, you have a significant amount of cash invested.

Evrybody else has cast receivers. Some are better than others. In my estimation, Smith Ent. made the best cast receivers, bar none. Some of the others were terrible. Smith also made some receivers years ago, out of forged bar stock. These are good but hard to find and expensive.

All of the above should be built up with U.S. GI components. As John Holbrook can tell you, the cast bolts & etc. made by Springfield are not even close to GI and most are junk.

Smith Enterprises is in the process of getting back into production with a new receiver. At this time, I don't think anyone knows how it will be manufactured but everyone who follows this M14 thing is waiting very expectantly.

Incidently, If you have to ask about a lug, you don't need one.
    Last edited by Bill D; 01-25-2010 at 05:17.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

Bill D,
    I have to kind of agree with you on most of what you said, but...

I used to be a "USGI Parts Snob" like most of everybody else. A while back, I bought a couple of SuperMatch Rifles from Springfield Armory, and I've had no problems with the parts aside from a receiver I had a lot of work getting replaced due to problems, but then, I haven't fired them a lot yet. As far as I know, the newer bolts are Forged, and I haven't seen any immediate problems with them yet, but....time will tell. What I had expected to have trouble with was the gasy system. I had thought that they were not using stainless steel where USGI was stainless steel, but someone do correct me if I'm wrong. I had expected to to have a problem with rusting because of that (it gets humid in Northeast Ohio), but this has not been the case. I've merely done the same thing that I have with my USGI Gas Cylidners, and that is to pull the piston and plug after each session, then ream and clean them, then clean the gas cylinder, then put back together. No problem so far.

I've had the least problems with Polytech. So far, the only problem that I've noticed on a few or four of them is that the rear sight serrations can be prone to some dings and/or some burrs on the periphery of the serrations which can cause a click or two to be "funky". This is all aside from some of the issues that have been commonly noted because they are based on metric dimensions in some or a lot of cases (which are very very close to USGI).

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have had experience with both Springfield Armory , Inc. (have two early ones) and Smith Ent. I have a friend who recently bought an LRB.

For what it's worth, my recommendations are:

LRB are hammer forged and therefore have a longer projected life. This extra life comes at a very high price, however. LRB receivers are expensive. The Chinese receivers are also hammer forged but the Chinese mixed some metric in with our inch dimensions. These problems can be fixed by competent machinists (Smith Ent. does these fixes) but again, by the time you are done, you have a significant amount of cash invested.

Evrybody else has cast receivers. Some are better than others. In my estimation, Smith Ent. made the best cast receivers, bar none. Some of the others were terrible. Smith also made some receivers years ago, out of forged bar stock. These are good but hard to find and expensive.

All of the above should be built up with U.S. GI components. As John Holbrook can tell you, the cast bolts & etc. made by Springfield are not even close to GI and most are junk.

Smith Enterprises is in the process of getting back into production with a new receiver. At this time, I don't think anyone knows how it will be manufactured but everyone who follows this M14 thing is waiting very expectantly.

Incidently, If you have to ask about a lug, you don't need one.

Are Fulton's receivers cast or forged? I assume the former. They don't say either way on their website that I can see.

+ Reply to Thread